MSE News: RBS punishes basic account holders in ATM crackdown

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"RBS and Natwest basic bank account customers will no longer be able to use rivals' cash machines ..."

Comments

• jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2011 at 10:02AM
    Options
    The article says "Basic bank account holders are already often treated as pariahs by banks - this confirms RBS sees them as second class citizens compared to standard current account holders".

I don't understand the logic of that, certainly with the emphasis on "this". Step/Key account holders were already treated "differently", "less well" if you like, including sufferring an "online" debit card not liked by Pay@Pump and (I believe railway companies). I'm not sure the loss of Link access, especially given Post Office access, is such a big deal.

I'm assuming, could sombody please confirm, store "cashback" is available.

Step/Key account holders with standing orders and direct debits and who have a reason to miss Link access should speak to their bank about an upgrade to "free" Select. The answer to that request will certainly indicate whether they are considered "second class".

My advice - rejoice in having a "loss making" account with excellent online banking and with a card, compared with Select, that exchanges Post Office access for Link access, with very limited possibilities for accidentally incurring charges.

Meanwhile Select customers must see account charging looming some way down the road. *That* I suggest is what is behind this move.
  • Techhead_2
    Techhead_2 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised by this, it will cause real inconvenience, for many reasons. Surely basic account holders are the very people who need access to their money.

And why are account holders hearing about this third hand?
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    absolute disgrace......

i live in the countryside, one cash machine where i stay (clydesdale). there is an RBS branch - no ATM only open 3 days a week.
    SO im stuffed...... thanks very much RBS.....

Not everyone that has bad credit will have bad credit for their lives, so dont expect me back with ya, and if i ever win the lottery big... dont come crawling to me to invest my money in your schemes...

And to be frank here..... Full account customers cost the banks more, with unpaid O/drafts, loans, credit cards....

How many Millions do the banks write over every year as bad debt, and these are people that had accounts with an o/d facility......
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • Matthew-989
    Options
    Techhead wrote: »
    I'm surprised by this, it will cause real inconvenience, for many reasons. Surely basic account holders are the very people who need access to their money.

Customers are starting to receive emails about the change and no doubt a letter will be sent out outlining the change.
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2011 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Techhead wrote: »

Apparently account holders are hearing before branch staff, which I have to believe otherwise I have been misled. Or another "less nice" word.
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    the taxpayer.... wheather good credit or bad credit fund and bailed this outfit out......

And in return this is what they give back......

No doubt this move weill add another £100k to Mr Hesters bonus/pension fund
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • Beamish0
    Options
    Vote with your feet with these lousy banks.

I will wait for the letter from Lloyds TSB (The !!!!!! Bank) then move all my accounts.

Their customers need to treat them with contempt.
  • premierfella
    Options
    ihateyes wrote: »
    absolute disgrace......

i live in the countryside, one cash machine where i stay (clydesdale). there is an RBS branch - no ATM only open 3 days a week.
    SO im stuffed...... thanks very much RBS.....
    No Post Office? (admittedly limits withdrawals to opening hours though)
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't forget you can pay eight quid to change it to a Select Silver Account to escape the restrictions!
  • Doowa
    Options
    A profitable bank can afford to subsidise things like inter-bank ATM fees for basic bank accounts, an unprofitable bank cannot - especially when the taxpayer is funding it. Receipt of a taxpayer subsidy doesn't turn the company into an arm of the welfare state, it is still a commercial organisation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure