Pictures of Childrens Christmas presents on social media

Do you post pictures of your Children's Christmas presents, on social media?

I don't mean pictures of a small child gleefully unwrapping on xmas morning

I mean pictures on Christmas eve after the kids have gone to bed...pile of gift wrapped presents that's bigger than the Christmas tree..
The opposite of what you know...is also true

Comments

• Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    ska_lover wrote: »
    Do you post pictures of your Children's Christmas presents, on social media?

I don't mean pictures of a small child gleefully unwrapping on xmas morning

I mean pictures on Christmas eve after the kids have gone to bed...pile of gift wrapped presents that's bigger than the Christmas tree..

No. Nor have we ever had piles of presents that are taller than the tree itself.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    No, I always feel uncomfortable with them knowing that others may compare. it's not a competition and nor is it the key to Christmas.

That said I also know friends, and my wife at times (although doesn't post the photo to facebook) that take them and know their aim is not to show off or compete, but instead excitement for the kids reaction in the morning and also proud of the effort they've gone to pick what they hope are good presents and wrap them (value and cost again not key). There is often quite a lot of effort involved.

It's just another part of the norm of photographing and sharing online parts of peoples lives.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    What an incredibly naff thing to do! :eek:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • My sister in law does this and its vile. Enough presents for about 15 kids imao when she has 3. She'll start with the pictures soon right up until Christmas Eve
  • Nope! I never have, and I'm never likely to. I don't think that may people would be interested in the fact that my son only wants a new pack of biros and several A4 hardcover writing books for Christmas :rotfl:. Oh, and a few DVDs, but from other family members. (He will get other presents, but that is genuinely what he wants :)).
    Something else to think about is that people don't always have secure settings on their FB account, and that photos can be shared. It's a thief's dream to see piles of presents, with descriptions of expensive items and comments about having to go to the in-laws for the afternoon. I'm sure that one of our local police pages (I follow both my town and my county) advised people against photos and comments because it's so easy to make yourself a target for criminals.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds pretty tacky to me
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 November 2018 at 4:33PM
    It is pretty tacky

I just dislike showy off behavior in general on social media. The Christmas present thing is a major thing and I have two pple on my social media that always do it

Holiday countdowns are another one of my dislikes..Yeah i'm glad you are going to the Maldives, Sandra- really looking forward to the next fortnight of holiday pictures
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    And people do it for birthdays as well. I'll admit to taking a picture of my kids' presents (and think they look pathetic in comparison, but still can't bring myself just to buy presents for the sake of it), but I don't post them on FB. I keep them for myself.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    To quote my mother, such a show is "all fur coat and no knickers"!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Making Christmas restful and easy for burglars too ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure