Help with CIC/ directorship query

Around a year ago, a friend and I set up a CIC, running retail premises on a cost space share basis to enable local makers and artists to sell on the high street, at a less prohibitive cost, rates etc being what they are. In August, my friend was struggling with stress and asked me to accept her resignation from the business. We discussed it and I managed to persuade her to continue to manage our initial permanent retail premises, which runs smoothly and simply, separately from the rest of the projects the business undertakes (I organise shared space at large shows and events for members, and have organised a permanent street licence for a town centre stall, as well as a workshop space etc, and hope to make links with local community groups and schools to promote the potential possibility of actually making a living from traditional arts and crafts).

Since then, she has effectively had sole control over that shop, although my name is on the lease and all of the bills over there (she doesn't want her name on anything apart from the company reg docs).

Two months ago, I founded a second shop in the next town over, doing the same thing, but with a much greater number of traders. She has not assisted in setting up this second permanent venture, she didn't help with the other side projects. My name is the only one on everything related to the CIC - the only thing with both our names on is the companies house registration. I'm getting a bit tired of the situation, as she is taking the credit for my work without doing much herself. The CIC doesn't pay either of us - I don't invoice for time etc, but I'm spending a huge amount of time working for it because it's my baby and I want it to succeed.

I'd like to know where I stand - I'm not well off and can't afford a solicitor - I make for a living and make enough to be comfortable but not much on top! I'd like to split off the first property and hand it over to her, as her sole responsibility, but keep and continue to work on the second location and the side projects as I think I can build something really valuable to the town and the local community. I ideally need her to take ownership and responsibility and not just credit, or split off her section of the business completely.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't know much about CICs, but I'd imagine that as with a Partnership or a Ltd Company, you'd have some sort of written agreement which detailed how things were set up, what the management structure was, and how things could be ended or changed ... so what does that say?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport