Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SabNys
    • By SabNys 8th Nov 18, 8:15 AM
    • 54Posts
    • 5Thanks
    SabNys
    Automatic renewal failed - I have no home cover
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:15 AM
    Automatic renewal failed - I have no home cover 8th Nov 18 at 8:15 AM
    Here's a snippet from an email I sent to one of my daughters on 11/08/2017:

---------------------------------
    2 days after I got my postal house insurance quote from LV, I used the comparison site mentioned here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/home-insurance

Note that MSE have their own comparison feature, which lists the "deals" that are not mentioned by the main comparison sites - for example M&S or Amazon vouchers for 60.

I accepted the best online quote from LV, which was 105 less than the LV quote in their renewal notice (almost half price) :-)
    --------------------------------

Note that my term "house insurance" includes "Contents", per Policy Summary for 2016-17.

Issue: I've just noticed that I have not received any of the following from LV

- My renewal quote starting on 15 Aug 2018

or

- Any insurance documents, which I would have received if (for example) the postal quote did not arrive, so the insurance would then be AUTOMATICALLY renewed. So, if the docs had referred to the postal quote rather than the online quote, I could have taken immediate action.

In my own defence, I'm 74.

Further info: I used the same trick a year earlier on or around 11/08/2016 to get a cheaper LV quote online, compared with the renewal quote sent by post. I phoned LV and said that I did not want to accept the postal renewal quote. I then said that I wanted to accept the online quote (comparison site). That was correctly implemented by LV.

So, for the 2017 renewal, I have a suspicion that my phone call might have resulted in something being CANCELLED, rather than simply "not accepted".

I would be grateful for any comments. I'm just waiting for the LV lines to open, so it would be nice to be armed with some opinions from anyone in advance. I was planning to ask them for a free renewal of my insurance at the same premium as 2017-18, especially since they were recommended on the MSE comparison site. They might not want to acquire a bad reputation (assuming the mistake was by LV, rather than myself).

Thanks.
Page 2
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Nov 18, 5:17 PM
    • 5,453 Posts
    • 4,093 Thanks
    sheramber
    In 2016 the consumer service person may have agreed to renew the policy at the same rate as the online quote. They often agree to do this.

However, in 2017 the online quote was treated a separate transaction. That price was not available over the phone. They did not agree to renew at the online amount.
    • SabNys
    • By SabNys 9th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    SabNys
    In 2016 the consumer service person may have agreed to renew the policy at the same rate as the online quote. They often agree to do this.

However, in 2017 the online quote was treated a separate transaction. That price was not available over the phone. They did not agree to renew at the online amount.
    Originally posted by sheramber

That all sounds reasonable. Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

416Posts Today

3,997Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin