Has anyone heard of this company?

My mum was visited by a salesman for a company called TED alert today who do those pendant things that you press if you have a fall.

They tried to get her to pay £1,000 today (for 3 years), she didn't but they have told her she has to pay by tomorrow or she will lose her £500 'discount'.

It all sounds really dodgy to me but I don't know how to go about proving it to her. The company have only been trading for 8 months.

Does anyone have any experience of these devices or this company, please, or advice for how to find out if they are legit or not?
Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10

Comments

• Dime_Bar
    Dime_Bar Posts: 584
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wouldnt consider any organisation that was not a member of the TSA.

https://www.tsa-voice.org.uk/service-provider-directory

For example my local authority would provide the same service for £3 a week plus £50 installation.
    The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 October 2018 at 8:59PM
    Bargepole not a with touch do.

Ask your mum's local authority what they offer.

Also look at Sovereign Housing Association. Your mum doesn't have to be one of their tenants.

Also think about what your mum actually needs. Is she at particular risk of falling?

If her risk level is low you can get mobile phones with a panic button on the back - Doro do one which calls one ICE no. and puts speaker on at her end so you can hear what's going on. Phone also texts 2 other ICE nos. in case 1st can't respond.

Sorry can't give links. Can't remember if we used local authority scheme or Sovereign but it worked really well and best of all we weren't paying for it beyond the time it was needed.

BTW the phone thing will only work if she ALWAYS keeps it in her pocket. But same goes for pendants etc. They are useless if not worn. Get up at night? Take pendant. Get up in the morning? Take pendant.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Forumite
    FatVonD wrote: »
    They tried to get her to pay £1,000 today (for 3 years), she didn't but they have told her she has to pay by tomorrow or she will lose her £500 'discount'.

Any company who uses these tactics isn't worth dealing with.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thank you all
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Forumite
    Dime_Bar wrote: »
    I wouldnt consider any organisation that was not a member of the TSA.

https://www.tsa-voice.org.uk/service-provider-directory

For example my local authority would provide the same service for £3 a week plus £50 installation.

Dad had one from AgeUK and it was a similar price.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My DM has a tele-care pendant system via her local authority. It costs her £12.00 a month.

Yesterday we discovered that her smoke alarm is connected to the same system- if smoke is detected then it not only makes an horrendous noise but alerts the tele-care contact centre. All for £3.00 a week - great value.

The 'discovery' about the smoke alarm was only made because DM received a call from the local authority asking to come to replace the battery as the system showed it was failing.

I hope you told the sales people to bog off!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Forumite
    Gers wrote: »
    My DM has a tele-care pendant system via her local authority. It costs her £12.00 a month.

Yesterday we discovered that her smoke alarm is connected to the same system- if smoke is detected then it not only makes an horrendous noise but alerts the tele-care contact centre. All for £3.00 a week - great value.

The 'discovery' about the smoke alarm was only made because DM received a call from the local authority asking to come to replace the battery as the system showed it was failing.
    Worth saying they don't all do that but seems like an excellent feature. I arrived at Mum's more than once to be aurally assaulted by failing alarms which she couldn't hear at all. I also used to make the monthly test call. ☺️
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 October 2018 at 12:23PM
    Mobile phones with panic buttons are a bit large to carry around the home and easy to put down after using them. Within the home an alternative to consider is a landline phone with panic buttons that can be worn either on the wrist or as a pendant.

I bought one such for my mother. As well as working as a normal home phone, when a button is pressed it rings around selected numbers until it gets a reply and then plays a pre-recorded SOS message.

There is only the initial cost of the phone, and any extra buttons if required, as there is no control centre to respond only friends and neighbours.

This example is very good for a person who is hard of hearing. It can also announce the caller either by name (if entered into phone's phonebook) or one digit at a time - thus avoiding a journey to the phone only to discover that it is an unwanted caller or assisting anyone who would have difficulty reading the Caller ID on the display.

https://www.hearingdirect.com/amplicomms-powertel-97.html

As Savvy_Sue observed a problem is ensuring that the user remembers to wear the button at all times.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My Mum had one which was about £3 a month. Some local authorities run them for free. Really useful things to have.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My mum got one through the local council, £24/month - no installation charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure