Smart Meters - Ask me anything!

Comments

• lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Grthji wrote: »
    hi
    I have economy 7 heating. I had an old electric meter with a time switch, in july I had a smart meter fitted. The old meter and time switch were removed and I now have no automatic switch on/off offpeak supply to my storage heaters. Eon carried out the meter swap but I have since switched supplier to Bristol energy neither will help my problem.
    Why did you switch supplier if you were unhappy with EON's work?

I think you will need to get an electrician in to check your setup, and possibly confirm the EON have messed it up. That way it'll be easier to convince them to put it right.
  • hilljd00
    hilljd00 Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2016 at 5:56PM
    I like the sound of these news meters especially to stop advanced billing. Every year I over pay by £200+.

Will users be able to generate live energy elec/gas usage to be able to display their energy usage and cost live like on an Owl device etc
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have solar panels which were fitted by my landlord. The feed in tariff goes to the Landlord, I pay my supplier for the electricity I use above and beyond the free electricity. They generate enough energy to run my fridge freezer, laptop, TV, broadband and home phone during the day. On a good day they can also run enough to cover the washing machine. Basically so long as my total wattage is not higher than the generated wattage I get it free, for example boiling kettle costs.

Do the new smart meters work ok with solar panels?
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We have had a smart meter fitted today and they had to renew the gas pipe because it was lead. they have put a copper one in. When it was finished he told us we need to get an electrician in to fit an earth wire to it and we have got to pay for it. Does this sound right? I told him I would not have had it fitted if I had know it was going to cost us money to have it fitted,
  • ossie
    ossie Posts: 354 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    1. How does one tell if a smart meter supplied by British Gas is the latest version which can be updated should you wish to change supplier in the future.

2. Do smart meters cope with peak/off peak tariffs?
  • I had British Gas Smart Meters fitted yesterday and I was told by the installer that they were both upgradable by an over the air software update to make them fully compatable with other suppliers. He said that the "R3" stamped on the front was the type required!
  • Grthji wrote: »
    hi
    I have economy 7 heating. I had an old electric meter with a time switch, in july I had a smart meter fitted. The old meter and time switch were removed and I now have no automatic switch on/off offpeak supply to my storage heaters. Eon carried out the meter swap but I have since switched supplier to Bristol energy neither will help my problem.

Please tell me how you resolved this. I'm in the same position. EON fitted smart meter on economy 7. Worked fine. Moved to Bristol Energy, economy 7 worked fine but smart meter became a normal dumb meter.

Bristol Energy then informed me they could now enable the smart meter so they could take readings remotely. On the day they enabled this I lost economy 7 heating ie no charging off peak. Bristol Energy say there is no time switch in the smart meter (Liberty Secure 100). I beg to differ because there was when EON installed it!

Bristol Energy washing their hands of it :mad:
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Zebedee4 wrote: »
    Please tell me how you resolved this. I'm in the same position. EON fitted smart meter on economy 7. Worked fine. Moved to Bristol Energy, economy 7 worked fine but smart meter became a normal dumb meter.

Bristol Energy then informed me they could now enable the smart meter so they could take readings remotely. On the day they enabled this I lost economy 7 heating ie no charging off peak. Bristol Energy say there is no time switch in the smart meter (Liberty Secure 100). I beg to differ because there was when EON installed it!

Bristol Energy washing their hands of it :mad:

You are confusing a time switch with an internal contactor switched output, which is required to control a separate circuit for night storage heating/hot water.

As this meter controlled your E7 circuit when eon was your supplier but now does not with Bristol Energy, Bristol Energy are not sending the correct control signals to the meter.

Bristol Energy cannot wash their hand of this, so raise a complaint and escalate as necessary until resolved.
  • Hi All, Seeking some advice for my 92 year old mother who has been offered a FU (First Utility) meter.

Is this going to tie her to FU?
    Will it revert to being dumb and if so does this matter. She takes the readings at present manually and sends them to FU.
    Will the availability of other suppliers dwindle because she has a smart meter fitted?

Grateful for any help
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If the meter is a smets2 one then any supplier can use it as a s,art meter.

I Think the one which FU currently use are smets1 meter and only Some, not all, of these will remain smart if a switch takes place.

If she does have a SMETS1 meter installed then yes she can switch but most likely it will become a dumb meter which she will need to read.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure