PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Online conveyancing vs Traditional

Hi all

I wondered if anyone had any experience of using an online conveyancing company for selling a house? If so which company was used and how long did it take to get everything done? Was there a lot of chasing involved etc?

I'm toying with the idea to keep costs down.

Comments

• Did it once. Never ever again.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • Kyresa
    Kyresa Posts: 1,534
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You get what you pay for. If you want to join the factory line and speak to a different person every time, then you go "cheap". Use one of those lovely online referral companies who take even more of the fee from the conveyancer too... then you can guarantee you'll join the high volume no personal service queue :)

Alternatively, pay the proper fee for the job to your local high street conveyancer who then doesn't have to operate a factory service :)

As someone on here wisely once said, whilst your matter may be the utmost priority to you, your conveyancer is not only working on your case :)
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    is it really that expensive to use a decent recommended local solicitor? when buying in 2014 it cost me around £800
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Kyresa wrote: »
    You get what you pay for. If you want to join the factory line and speak to a different person every time, then you go "cheap". Use one of those lovely online referral companies who take even more of the fee from the conveyancer too... then you can guarantee you'll join the high volume no personal service queue :)

Alternatively, pay the proper fee for the job to your local high street conveyancer who then doesn't have to operate a factory service :)

As someone on here wisely once said, whilst your matter may be the utmost priority to you, your conveyancer is not only working on your case :)

Are you stating that a local high street one will only be working on your case? If not, then that what does that mean, because of course a local firm will also be working on more than one case at a time !

My daughter used an online mass market one a couple of years ago, it was fine. Her 'case" had a specific person allocated that she normally spoke to if she needed to and it all went quickly without issues and most documents were uploaded electronically.

I've also read a few accounts here where someone is using a local solicitor who then is ill or goes on holiday and they are stuck, so its not necessarily always plain sailing locally. The one upside is, if they are local you can go and see them personally if things are not going to plan and you dont have to post any documents that do need to be originals.
  • Kyresa
    Kyresa Posts: 1,534
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Are you stating that a local high street one will only be working on your case? If not, then that what does that mean, because of course a local firm will also be working on more than one case at a time !

My daughter used an online mass market one a couple of years ago, it was fine. Her 'case" had a specific person allocated that she normally spoke to if she needed to and it all went quickly without issues and most documents were uploaded electronically.

I've also read a few accounts here where someone is using a local solicitor who then is ill or goes on holiday and they are stuck, so its not necessarily always plain sailing locally. The one upside is, if they are local you can go and see them personally if things are not going to plan and you dont have to post any documents that do need to be originals.

No, it means that your high street conveyancer will have on average 30 - 40 ongoing files whereas your factory will have on average 100 as they have to keep the churn going because they are barely covering their costs :)
  • If things go smoothly then online is usually fine. If not, then having someone responsive to deal with a pushy estate agent or an unreasonable vendor is very useful and, in my opinion, worth the extra money.
  • nmjams
    nmjams Posts: 250
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I played with the idea of going down the online route but decided on a local conveyancer instead.
    Set fee of £775 inc vat.
    While i was sat in her office i asked a question that i really wanted an answer to asap, the vendors solicitor was also local and both had got to know each other over time so she was able to pick up the phone and ask there and then and got the answer i needed to put my mind at rest.
    We also agreed on a completion date there and then.
  • Thanks all for the advice / stories. Will go with a proper high street conveyance company. The one we have now been recommended with is 615 excluding VAT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure