Win 7 install UPDATE

spud17
spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
A few of us on here have been posting about problems with getting new installs of Win 7 to update.

After many attempts trying suggestions from this forum, the internet and a few of my own, I can report that it now appears to be updating.

Because of trying so many fixes, I had decided on yet another reinstall.
I installed Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit, at 12.30pm on Saturday 26th, for some reason that required phone activation.

All I did was to install the latest Update Agent , then selected 'Notify but don't download' in the updates settings.
I made sure BITS was running and selected 'Check for updates'.
I checked at various times, then around 11.00 am Sunday 27th, I saw the HD activity light going crazy.
Result, :beer: 215 important updates (992MB), and 11 optional updates.
Conclusion, despite all the various fixes, it seems that time is the main factor.
Move along, nothing to see.

Comments

• Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This has started playing up on my mum's laptop now. I'm really getting fed up with this crap. I don't have hours to spend troubleshooting this. Think I'll stick Linux mint on for her instead when the next LTS comes out. At least I know the updates will work properly.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    spud17 wrote: »
    I checked at various times, then around 11.00 am Sunday 27th, I saw the HD activity light going crazy.
    Result, :beer: 215 important updates (992MB), and 11 optional updates.
    Conclusion, despite all the various fixes, it seems that time is the main factor.

:eek: It took a clean installation of W7 nearly 24 hours to work out which updates it needed?! What's going on, Microsoft?!

Glad you got it working eventually.
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    ChiefGrasscutter Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March 2016 at 6:42PM
    Last week I did a update from a factory image re-set stage.
    (Having read that other thread on here about those with problems)
    So the base factory install was at SP1 initially.
    This was Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

I set updates settings to notify but not download (so I can deselect the win 10 nagware KB's prior you understand!)
    First it downloaded a revised update program.
    Then it took several hours, probably 3 to 4 to find and list the 200+ updates.
    This was late afternoon UK time
    During this time very little was downloaded but there was a lot of cpu activity.
    Once I had unticked the unsavory ones it then spent the same amount of time downloading and doing the updates and I let it do all 200+ in one go.
    Although it claimed 950MB need to be downloaded it actually only downloaded around 500MB according to task manager.

Edit:
    The next day it found another 32 updates quite normally (included of course [sigh]the win10 nagware ones I'd deselected the previous day)
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    This was discussed on Digital Spy, http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=81882487&postcount=11

"install two 3MB hotfixes in sequence, KB3102810 and KB3135445, after which Windows Update only takes a few minutes."

I've had several W7 new installs take many hours overnight to search and finally find the 200+ updates..... the info in the link above shows how to install 2 fixes that solves this problem!

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    This was discussed on Digital Spy, http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=81882487&postcount=11

"install two 3MB hotfixes in sequence, KB3102810 and KB3135445, after which Windows Update only takes a few minutes."

I've had several W7 new installs take many hours overnight to search and finally find the 200+ updates..... the info in the link above shows how to install 2 fixes that solves this problem!

the problem is that it doesn't always solve the issue, and I've tried on many machines..... still can take 24 hrs to find the first lot :(
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite

Oh -- that's interesting. After trying many, many things on one of the affected PCs, I found that uninstalling SP1, installing KB3102810 (one of the ones you mentioned above), then reinstalling SP1 fixed the problem.
  • spud17
    edited 28 March 2016 at 11:02AM

That does look worth trying, but I'm not going to start back over again just to test it. :)
    However, I've spent the last few weekends reading similar posts. I've tried many of the 'solutions', back in September 2015 I posted what worked for me.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69096582&postcount=57
    That didn't work this time.
    One post I read claimed to have solved the update problems by changing the dns settings in the router over to Google (8.8.8.8).

It hurts me, but I'm agreeing with GJ, .:):D

ChiefGrasscutter
    That new revised update program is probably the one that I downloaded separately and installed before looking for updates.

edit:I installed GWX yesterday to repel Win 10 for the time being. I've just turned on pc and now have 21 Important updates and 10 optional.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    spud17 wrote: »
    It hurts me, but I'm agreeing with GJ, .:):D

spud, I'm crushed :p;):):D
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • spud17
    edited 28 March 2016 at 11:45AM
    GunJack wrote: »
    spud, I'm crushed :p;):):D

Keep it quiet, DCM gets jealous. :rotfl::rotfl::beer:
    edit; Just net 4.6.1 update to go, think I got number right.
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    the problem is that it doesn't always solve the issue, and I've tried on many machines..... still can take 24 hrs to find the first lot :(
    Hmm that's a shame, I've not tried the fix as no need at the moment but a month ago I could have done with that potential fix. Leaving a PC running overnight to find the updates is madness!

I think between 7 and 9 hours was the time it took to find update :eek:

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family