PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Private renting issues

Hi all, I have a very big problem with my private housing and not sure what to do, this will be long as covering several issues.
We, myself and my 2 children moved into the property Feb 2018,first problem arose with our electricity company we gave them a meter reading and asked to be put onto economy 7 as there is a storage heater in the living room, we got a bill a few weeks later with an estimated reading, thy denied having been contacted even though the bill was in our name and not the occupier as it was before, so now we have an outstanding electricity bill of over £2,000, money for rent ( now in 1 month rent arrears)had to be used to clear some of it but still not changed to economy 7, yet. The storage heater in the main room stopped working 4 time as the switch on the wall was overheating it has now been fixed and is working properly but most of the spot lights in the property have again blown in the front room alone the are at least 18 of these. The water has not been heating up since last week on Friday, they sent a repair man on Sunday who pressed a button on the boiler and said it will work it and he will be back Monday he did not return and the water is still cold. The bathroom and kitchen sink back up in November last year the repair man poured acid down the bath drain which busted the pipe under the bath sending acid water onto the bedroom carpet, his took them over a week to sort out and the landlord graciously allowed a £200 discount on 1 months rent to be applied to a ruined wardrobe and contents, clothes, bedding, towels, shoes, trainers and such. I could go on but won't.
Someone please advise i do't know what to do, can't move as now 1 month behind with rent.

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You say you moved in Feb 18, so have you only just received your £2000 bill for over a year of consumption?

Did you not think it was odd that you were not paying for any electricity until now?

Regarding repairs, report all issues in writing and if significant issues like hot water or heating are not repaired in reasonable time then invite the Council housing team to make a HHSRS inspection.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I dont understand why you haven't been paying your electric bill.

Assume you have provided regular readings and received regular statements (minimum of quarterly).

2k is a lot for 1 year but if you have been having issues for this long, can we presume you have raised this issue with your company and asked for it to be investigated?
  • I have been trying to keep up a minimum payment while they were supposedly investigating the matter, had to get help when the wrote a letter saying i had not responded to their calls, I only have a mobile with their number saved and no missed calls from them
  • I paid the first bill, then received another one 3 months later for over £700 again estimated even though again I had given them a meter reading
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Backed up kitchen sink is your responsibility especially as it didn't happen straight after you moved in so you can't complain about that.

Bath and washbasin could be the landlord's unless you have not been careful about how much hair is washed down.

Why have you not being paying the electricity bill while you wait to be transferred to economy 7? That is your problem nothing to do with the landlord. You have the contract with electricity company.

Spotlight as in bulbs are the responsibility of the tenant to replace. You don't call the landlord out to change a bulb.

The timer switch has been repaired problem over. Things break.

So basically what it boils down to is this.

You haven't paid your electricity bill for a year because you wanted the company to put you on economy 7.

You are in arrears on your rent inspite of the fact that rent is the bill you must pay first before you buy anything else.

Your boiler stopped working on Friday and you expect a plumber to drop everything and mend it in less than a week?

All the other stuff is done except that you haven't been replacing bulbs.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    I paid the first bill, then received another one 3 months later for over £700 again estimated even though again I had given them a meter reading

So what did you estimate you should have paid from your meter readings between bills?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    is there already an economy 7 meter in the property or were you waiting on one being installed? (there will be 2 separate meters, 1 for day rate and 1 for night)
  • please read my replies, the bill was being paid bit by bit while they were investigating, the kitchen sink and bathroom back up were because they was not a back stop or something, there are over 30 spotlights or whatever they are throughout the place they have not blown but slowing dimed and stopped working altogether.
  • Yes i have been giving them the 2 meter reading
  • I was paying £100 each month to try to stay on top of the bill until they changed my tariff to economy 7, this still has not happened over a year later, the deny speaking to me on the phone, they did not respond to emails. I was finally advised to contact the energy ombudsman last month by the repairman when he was looking at the fuse box, am now waiting for my energy company to look at said box after the have rescheduled twice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure