Together Energy?

Comments

• mikeyorkie10
    mikeyorkie10 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2017 at 8:09AM
    I looked at MSE Energy Clubs estimate based on 12400kw gas and 6400kw Electricity usage. Cheapest tariffs that came up were not recommended suppliers and the cheapest recommended Top Pick supplier was Avro. I also looked at TogetherEnergy – doesn’t come up on any comparison sites, stumbled across it by accident on a random Google search but looks OK . These are the results for me below:

Cost for one year, current British Gas / MSE Collective Fix, ends October 3rd next: £942, BG currently billing at £1038 (after unexplained DD hike!) and so will expect a refund of around £100
    Cost for one year, British Gas standard tariff from October 3rd next: £1567!! That's £553 more than is being paid now. I make that a 53% rise. I should point out that BG offered to move me to their new 12 month fixed tariff for an annual reduction of £23.24 but I didn’t even bother doing the maths on that!

Cost for one year, Avro 12 month fixed tariff: £1213. That's £354 cheaper than BG
    Cost for one year, TogetherEnergy 12 month fix , £1,153. That's £414 cheaper than British Gas. So, I initiated the transfer on the 27th August, already had emails from BG and Together stating that switch in progress and will be completed by 18th September.
    Only downer so far is that, apparently my BG Smart Meters will go 'dumb' after the switch. Info from Together states - "First Generation smart meters turn “dumb” once you change suppliers, so you will have to either email, call or log into our customer portal to provide your meter readings.Next year a new generation of meters will come out that follows the customer and not the supplier, and we will be able to provide our customers with those."

Any one any smart meter switch experience? The email response from Together took only 15 mins, bit of a change from BG's 5 days!

Will keep you posted on the experience

• I have just switched with Confused.com
    Most reputable comparison site, I always use them and always been happy with their recommendations.
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just signed up with them for electricity only, website works fine (so far) and received a welcome email within 1 minute.

Pricing was cheapest I could find, £0.10287/kWh (inc vat.), with a standing charge of £0.26438 (inc vat.). Claim to have the switch complete in 22 days, but let's see.

Switch is from GB Energy (Crystal 12 fix ending), so I have some first hand experience of small operators and their fallibility!
  • I've just initiated a switch today through Quidco/Lumo comparison, £50 cash back.

British gas currently - £1,381/year

Quotes:-

npower - £1,754/yr, £25 cash back

EDF Energy collective fix - £1,897/yr, £25 cash back

TogetherEnergy £1635.04 With £50 cash back from Quidco / Lumo

£204 (inc cashback) more expensive than current BG collective but cheaper than anything else I could find, especially for electric (11939 kWh per year!)

Bordering being East Midlands and West Midlands
    Electric: 10.823 pence per kWh / Standing Charge 24.368
    Gas: 2.573 pence per kWh / Standing Charge 19.644 pence per day

Lumo comparison app tells me my switch date is 19th October! Not heard anything from TogetherEnergy yet but only switched a couple of hours ago.
  • Asked to provide meter reading for switch on 14/9. Either phone or send photo of reading by email. Sent email this am and received confirmation this pm. So far so good.
  • pete22
    pete22 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Switched on the 4 September '17 using Confused.com. Acknowledgement from "Together" received on the 6 September.

Switching from British Gas (Collective Fix October 2017)
  • Updated cheapenergyclub account to new Together Energy supplier but now it wont provide comparisons. If I change to a different supplier then it works, but not when Together Energy is selected.
  • locky123 wrote: »
    Updated cheapenergyclub account to new Together Energy supplier but now it wont provide comparisons. If I change to a different supplier then it works, but not when Together Energy is selected.
    Hi locky, dont understand that. I've updated my account to Together and the comparison is working OK... warns me I'm on a tariff with early get out charges and then shows I'm on the cheapest deal as all other results cost me extra?

Just to confirm, smart meter is now dumb and back to manual readings. Switched went thru as planned back on 18th Sept and monitor 'died' a few days later. Finally unplugged it yesterday as it was just a very large electronic thermometer :-) Seems to be a chance that these early BG SMETS1 monitors may be upgradeable or may have to be replaced. We should have the answer before 2020 !!
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    locky123 wrote: »
    Updated cheapenergyclub account to new Together Energy supplier but now it wont provide comparisons. If I change to a different supplier then it works, but not when Together Energy is selected.

I seem to get a result if I select the Together Energy variable tariff as my current tariff, but not their fixed Aug 18 tariff.

This post by MSE Laura about a month ago in another thread may explain further (and why they are not offered up by the CEC)
    MSE_Laura wrote: »
    Hi DaveLanks,

I'm sorry to hear that your email didn't get through to us. That's definitely the email address to reach us on, so I'm not too sure why it was returned with that message. Do you know roughly when you tried to email us, so that we can look into this?

The way that energy comparisons work is that we're reliant on suppliers to share the details of their tariffs with us so that we're able to key these into our system for you to select.

Frustratingly, not all providers are particularly good at doing this and despite chasing, it can be difficult for us to get the information needed. We've been chasing Together Energy for a while now, but unfortunately it's just not getting back to us and sharing it's rates card with us.

We're continuing to push for this and it is an issue we've also raised with Ofgem, the industry regulator.

I hope this helps.

MSE Laura
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73027443&postcount=2

Perhaps you too could contact your supplier and ask why they are not prepared to provide the details of their tariffs to the Ofgem accredited comparison sites?
  • mikeyorkie10
    mikeyorkie10 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 October 2017 at 2:29PM
    footyguy wrote: »
    I seem to get a result if I select the Together Energy variable tariff as my current tariff, but not their fixed Aug 18 tariff.

This post by MSE Laura about a month ago in another thread may explain further (and why they are not offered up by the CEC)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73027443&postcount=2

Perhaps you too could contact your supplier and ask why they are not prepared to provide the details of their tariffs to the Ofgem accredited comparison sites?
    Sorry, (re footguy's quote) I forgot to be specific on tariff, the CEC comparison works for me on their fixed Aug 18 tariff. Bit strange - works on both IOS and Windows browsers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure