Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,184Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1231
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 14th Aug 18, 10:32 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    If that place really does belong to a single bloke, the reason for sale will be found in his failing liver. I've never seen so much booze in a private home.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    You identify an alcoholic not by the full bottles in the house but by the empty bottles in the bin.

The owners of the house are in the food & drinks industry owning a number of restaurants and running several franchises, there is more than a chance that the bar is "overflow" from some of these.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 15th Aug 18, 10:07 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Awful - just awful... Lots of money and no taste. I doesn't look like anyone actually lives there - maybe just some lonely bloke (Booze, big TV, and only one lumpy looking bed looks slept in...) in fact the only bit that looks used is the desk in the office.
    It looks quite sad really - clearly not a family home?

What I could buy with that kind of money though
    Originally posted by TheGardener
    There's a lot of houses like that round where I live, it's certainly one of the most boring I've seen from my RM searches. I like a big house to have at least one really gaudy room.
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 15th Aug 18, 10:09 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    You identify an alcoholic not by the full bottles in the house but by the empty bottles in the bin.

The owners of the house are in the food & drinks industry owning a number of restaurants and running several franchises, there is more than a chance that the bar is "overflow" from some of these.

SP
    Originally posted by StumpyPumpy
    Can I ask how you know that re the owners?
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 15th Aug 18, 10:41 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Quite. If you were to go rummaging through our drinks cabinet (actually the cupboard section of the sideboard) you could draw the incorrect conclusion that we're a pair of alchys, containing as it does well over 30 bottles of wines and spirits with a similar number of beers and ciders spread across one of the kitchen cupboards and the fridge.

The fact is quite a few of those spirits have been there for years, it's nice to have plenty of options, and we do bulk buy if we see anything we like on special offer. With beers and ciders a lot of the ones we like aren't available in many supermarkets so again we bulk buy.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Aug 18, 11:31 AM
    • 5,388 Posts
    • 25,308 Thanks
    Slinky
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68279759.html

Spot the photographer, and the open fridge, and the booze....
    Originally posted by ChicaBonita

Early viewing is highly recommended due to the property being realistically priced.

Except it's been up for sale since August 2017.

Pic 15 of the office makes me less worried about the state of my own.....
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 15th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 3,813 Posts
    • 5,863 Thanks
    bouicca21
    You identify an alcoholic not by the full bottles in the house but by the empty bottles in the bin

Point taken. Though the only alcoholic of my acquaintance never had empty bottles as he sneaked them out under cover of darkness to a recycling point, in the belief that if there were no empties in his dustbin, no one would realise he had a problem.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 15th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 3,111 Thanks
    shortcrust

SP
    That's why I take mine to the bottle bank.

Edit: Didn't read bouicca21's post above. Guess I'm not alone!
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 16th Aug 18, 2:45 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    Dandie89
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67004233.html
    Who fancies carrying the trifle bowl down those steps to your dining guests?
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 16th Aug 18, 3:42 PM
    • 7,814 Posts
    • 14,058 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Originally posted by Dandie89
    Soup, gravy boat..........
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 16th Aug 18, 5:25 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 21,480 Thanks
    ancientofdays

Me, I do! A friend had this type of house some years ago and I loved it. Perhaps best not to combine that with all the bottles in the other house above though.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 16th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 1,902 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Picture 2, I'd just never relax!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67018594.html
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Aug 18, 7:06 PM
    • 25,833 Posts
    • 94,132 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Nobody, I'd imagine, but then there's no viable alternative
    "The cellar is currently used as the dining room," implies there might be somewhere else for it.

OK, where?

Couple that with no downstairs bog, no dedicated parking, storage heating, grade 2 listing and an agent so lazy they can't write the name of the road on the description to help find it and.....or am I just being negative and grumpy here?
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 16th Aug 18, 11:45 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    There's something dodgy going on with the bath in picture 8. The toilet seat is looking a bit shady as well.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56147925.html
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Aug 18, 12:26 AM
    • 25,833 Posts
    • 94,132 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    And if you watched a lot of TV, you'd soon have a double chin!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th Aug 18, 7:12 AM
    • 16,377 Posts
    • 45,351 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    There's something dodgy going on with the bath in picture 8. The toilet seat is looking a bit shady as well.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56147925.html
    Originally posted by Lummoxley
    Well - at least those things can be sorted pretty readily.

Me - I'm looking at the ceilings (including that odd sorta set-up with the kitchen light) and thinking "New ceilings all round" and at that ugly neighbours tree protruding well over the fence and thinking "A pretty tree would be one thing - but that tree would continue to be annoying".
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 17th Aug 18, 10:34 AM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    TheGardener
    Room with a view...
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52090497.html

Bath with no taps pic 14 !!? - all is revealed in pic 15

problem is it would just make me want a pee...
    And I can't believe it wouldn't splash all over the floor as the tub filled up...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Aug 18, 10:56 AM
    • 25,833 Posts
    • 94,132 Thanks
    Davesnave

Likewise, at my age. In view of that, it might also make me want a blind to protect the innocent.

Oh, I know there's not much behind it right now, but there's a rather obvious-looking building site behind.....and they won't be erecting bungalows...

Whoops, bang goes the sea view!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    • 10,898 Posts
    • 9,190 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52090497.html

Bath with no taps pic 14 !!? - all is revealed in pic 15

And I can't believe it wouldn't splash all over the floor as the tub filled up...
    It's 2M, a single car garage, 4 bedrooms have to share those awful "Jack n Jill" bathrooms, when there is enough room for each to have their own en suite. Unsure about the huge open plan lounge/dining/kit and why is there a shower room off the study unless intention is alternative use as GF bedroom.

Looks very soulless. Photos are also confusing
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 17th Aug 18, 3:51 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    It's 2M, a single car garage, 4 bedrooms have to share those awful "Jack n Jill" bathrooms, when there is enough room for each to have their own en suite. Unsure about the huge open plan lounge/dining/kit and why is there a shower room off the study unless intention is alternative use as GF bedroom.

Looks very soulless. Photos are also confusing
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Certainly some odd design elements there, I don't think I've ever seen what are effectively shared en-suites before. The floorplan of the main bedroom is doubly weird with what appears to an open plan ensuite but with the bath in the bedroom area. As an added bonus the bath is right next a window with no blind, perfect for giving the neighbours a treat/unpleasant surprise/case of spontaneous vomiting (delete as applicable). The staircase looks like it belongs in an office building.
    Last edited by NaughtiusMaximus; Today at 3:54 PM.
    • Ocelot
    • By Ocelot 17th Aug 18, 6:58 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Ocelot
    The whole thing looks like an office building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,807Posts Today

6,965Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin