Reclaiming cost of lost holiday paid by credit card

I booked a holiday over 6 months ago and paid for it by my Barclaycard. Unfortunately, at the last minute one of my family had a panic attack just before boarding the plane. This meant we were unable to board the plane and missed our £4000 holiday. What are the chances of me reclaiming the credit card payment or even part of it from Barclaycard?

Comments

• No as it wasn’t due to a fault with the airline or travel agent etc.

Personal circumstances aren’t usually covered
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Travel insurance is your only hope, but even that is unlikely to cover it.

Who did you book the holiday with and what have they said about the matter?
  • If I was your insurer I would be saying why did the rest of your party not go?
    Cruel? Maybe, IMO no insurance will cover for change of mind.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It could possibly be claimed as illness under the travel insurance policy?
    How the OP thinks that chargeback might be an option is quite beyond me though.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 August 2018 at 10:26AM
    cygnet125 wrote: »
    I booked a holiday over 6 months ago and paid for it by my Barclaycard. Unfortunately, at the last minute one of my family had a panic attack just before boarding the plane. This meant we were unable to board the plane and missed our £4000 holiday. What are the chances of me reclaiming the credit card payment or even part of it from Barclaycard?

What makes you think that the card issuer has a liability? Are there additional circumstances or information that is not included in your post? The rest (or majority of) of the party could still have travelled and therefore it was your choice not to go on the holiday.

If travel insurance was in place it is worth having a conversation with them but I would not hold out much hope.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 August 2018 at 10:33AM
    Hi cygnet125 and welcome to the forum. (Wow first post after 9 years lol) :)

If you had travel insurance then you may be in luck. It will all depend on the exact wording in your policy. This is what FOS say about travel insurance:
    Cancellation of a holiday
    There are many reasons for cancelling a holiday or trip before it starts. Nearly all policies provide cover for cancellation due to the illness, injury or death of the policyholder (or of a closely connected person, such as a near relative).

Source: Financial Ombudsmen Service
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    No, you won't be able to claim from the credit card.

The person having the panic attack MAY be able to claim under travel insurance - depends on what is covered. The rest of the party won't (unless the person having the attack was a minor in which case you could argue one of you had to stay behind with them)
  • It was through ebookers/Ryan air, I could claim tax back on flights but the fee to Ryanair makes it non rewarding. I tried to phone the resort and cancel at least the last week of our holiday but they said it wasnt possible. My only hope is to try through my travel insurance I think. cheers
  • As 18cc suggests, unless it was an immediately dependant minor who balked at the last minute I can't see you having a strong case.

What was preventing the rest of the party from travelling ?

That may sound harsh, however, it is the question the credit card and/or insurers would ask.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    cygnet125 wrote: »

Less than zero, I'd have a thought.

The tour operator, airline, whatever is not in breach of contract because your party was 'unable' to travel. Neither they nor Barclaycard have any liability. You could all have been hospitalised with some deadly disease and they would still have no liability. That's why people take out travel insurance. No idea whether that would cover a panic attack.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure