Xbox gamertag change

Options
I want to change my xbox gamertag as I chose a randomly generated one when I signed up (so I could start gaming straight away) and that at time I couldn't think of a good one. I have thought of a good gamertag now.

Whoever done this in the past or recently, did it reset your game progress and achievements? It's just that I don't want my game achievements and progress to go back to zero/beginning.

Comments

• JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No it won't reset any progress or achievements
  • Eagles1905
    Eagles1905 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you create a brand new account with a new tag you'll revert back to 0G with nothing recorded on your gamer card. If you simply change your name all achievements and progress to date is protected (changed my tag about three times over the last ten years)

Achievements are kinda pointless though, would be nice to receive a reward from Live for hitting 10k, 50k etc etc (I am sat at about 57k) I have a friend who is a legit 190k (madness)
    “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    book12 wrote: »
    I want to change my xbox gamertag as I chose a randomly generated one when I signed up (so I could start gaming straight away) and that at time I couldn't think of a good one. I have thought of a good gamertag now.

Whoever done this in the past or recently, did it reset your game progress and achievements? It's just that I don't want my game achievements and progress to go back to zero/beginning.

Any gamerscore etc isnt reset, I did it years ago.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Eagles1905 wrote: »
    If you create a brand new account with a new tag you'll revert back to 0G with nothing recorded on your gamer card. If you simply change your name all achievements and progress to date is protected (changed my tag about three times over the last ten years)

Achievements are kinda pointless though, would be nice to receive a reward from Live for hitting 10k, 50k etc etc (I am sat at about 57k) I have a friend who is a legit 190k (madness)

Apparently they did originally have plans to offer rewards for achievement scores but plenty of people were so keen to just get the score that they ended up not having to bother offering any rewards.

Also agree about being able to change the gamertag and keep the account progress.

John
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies for not replying earlier. Haven't been on for a while.
    Tried to change the gamer tag, but it won't let me. Forgot what the error message was.
    As a reminder to you all, when I first got the console, I chose a random username from the predefined gamer tag list on the Xbox website, clicked on one of them and claimed it.
    I read articles that the cost is £7.99 to change it.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    book12 wrote: »
    Apologies for not replying earlier. Haven't been on for a while.
    Tried to change the gamer tag, but it won't let me. Forgot what the error message was.
    As a reminder to you all, when I first got the console, I chose a random username from the predefined gamer tag list on the Xbox website, clicked on one of them and claimed it.
    I read articles that the cost is £7.99 to change it.

I believe if you picked a random one, it will allow you to change it once for free (or at least it used to let you).

There used to be a way to bypass the cost on xbox 360 by getting a friend to report your gamertag - at which point the reported player would get the option to change it for free. Not sure if that still works with xbone though.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Teresasteele
    Options
    I have also read the articles that the gamer tag can be changed, but don't know for sure. One of my frind also wanted to change his gamer tag but he didn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure