Fixed penalty notice

Hi, I received a fixed penalty notice yesterday under their description of littering. I tried to pay the fine to avoid the hassle of having to pay more if not paid in a certain amount of days. The FPN hadn't been updated on newham councils records yet. Which is when I noticed the mistake the enforcement officer had put on the paperwork. Although he told me I committed a CN1 offence at the time and put down the CN1 fine of £80 on the ticket he actually wrote down on the ticket I committed a CN7 offence which carried a £110 fine. Clutching at straws here but seems as the officer put down the wrong fine for the wrong offence is their any chance this will void the penalty notice?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Possibly, it's only a penalty at the moment (it's not a fine) so you can only try and appeal. If you wish you can opt for this to be tried in court.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Trouble is they could also say that the 7 is a 1 some peoples handwriting, can be awful, you dont know the difference between the 7 and 1.
  • Gaylenne, it's a 7 with the - going through it. So certainly a 7
  • Hadrian
    Hadrian Posts: 283 Forumite
    gayleanne wrote: »
    Trouble is they could also say that the 7 is a 1 some peoples handwriting, can be awful, you dont know the difference between the 7 and 1.

Yes, it annoys me to see people writing a '7' with a 'bar'. The continentals do this to differentiate it from a '1' which they insist on writing with a diagonal line from the top of the '1' downwards. Why can't they write a British '1', which is a single downward stroke? :mad:
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Hadrian wrote: »
    Yes, it annoys me to see people writing a '7' with a 'bar'. The continentals do this to differentiate it from a '1' which they insist on writing with a diagonal line from the top of the '1' downwards. Why can't they write a British '1', which is a single downward stroke? :mad:

Maybe because the way you describe how to write 1 i.e. like '|' maybe confused ith 'I'.

Note how even in this typeface, a '1' has the diagonal line on the top too. ;)

I'm not sure why you are so annoyed by 'the continentals' who are actually make this so less confusing :huh:
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Martinmc88 wrote: »
    Hi, I received a fixed penalty notice yesterday under their description of littering. I tried to pay the fine to avoid the hassle of having to pay more if not paid in a certain amount of days. The FPN hadn't been updated on newham councils records yet. Which is when I noticed the mistake the enforcement officer had put on the paperwork. Although he told me I committed a CN1 offence at the time and put down the CN1 fine of £80 on the ticket he actually wrote down on the ticket I committed a CN7 offence which carried a £110 fine. Clutching at straws here but seems as the officer put down the wrong fine for the wrong offence is their any chance this will void the penalty notice?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi Martinmc88 - we're not covering quesitons about FPNs on the CAB board at the moment. We'd recommend contacting your local bureau for detailed advice on this and also on the appeals process.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure