Moving to NI

Hello everyone

I was wondering what needs to be done in order for me and my partner to move back to NI?

He's born in Mid-Ulster and my parents are in Donegal (Inishowen) although I've been raised in England.

Is there any differences in buying property/registering cars/ etc that is different to moving to a different part of mainland UK - if you happen to know!

Sorry if this seems a random question and pretty open ended but every question has to start somewhere! :o

Comments

• butterflymum
    butterflymum Posts: 987
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    A starting point for a variety of info:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/
    butterfly )i(
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,058
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is there any differences in buying property/registering cars/ etc that is different to moving to a different part of mainland UK - if you happen to know!

As regarding cars you just tax the car at a local main Post office and you can change to a NI reg number or retain the orginal UK mainland number
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

Things are slightly different here as we have our own legal system, but its not radically different.

Car registration - just fill in the change of address section of your log book (or V whatever it is called now!)

Buying a house - If you are selling one, I wouldn't recommend using an English solicitor for the sale and purchase, as its unlikely they would be experienced in NI (although - as I said there is not much difference.

The only difference in buying a house is theta rightmove etc don't cover NI - use propertypal.com or propertynews.com
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 810
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Regarding buying property: leasehold is strangely prevalent, but should be being wiped out with newer purchases.
    Cars used to have to be re-registered, but not anymore since the DVLA took over. You can tax your car the same way as in England. Licences are still NI specific, however.
    MOTs: you have a year longer before the first one and tests can only take place at government sites (garages still advertise "pre-testing" however. Chancers).
    Voter registration is apparently compulsory (anyone ever been fined?).
    Sunday shopping hours are different...
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    In all likelihood your existing policy will not cover Northern Ireland. Its Ok for making short trips here but once you live here you will need to change to a policy which covers N ireland residents.
    John
  • roshydoshy
    roshydoshy Posts: 814
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone, was aware of most of the above so it looks like not too many differences between places. Appreciate you all taking the time to reply :)
  • RikM
    Forumite
    irishjohn wrote: »
    In all likelihood your existing policy will not cover Northern Ireland. Its Ok for making short trips here but once you live here you will need to change to a policy which covers N ireland residents.

Really? Firms like Direct line cover the entirety of the UK and southern Ireland, by default (confirmed from policy documents online).
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,058
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Firms like Direct line cover the entirety of the UK and southern Ireland, by default (confirmed from policy documents online).

Yes but you have to inform them of your permanent address, this may reflect on the premium paid
  • RikM
    Forumite
    ballyblack wrote: »
    Yes but you have to inform them of your permanent address, this may reflect on the premium paid

Yes, but that's true wherever you move to. Premiums are different in (for example) Greater London than they are in Hertfordshire, or up in the North East...
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yay! You can revert to calling a scallion a scallion not a spring onion!
    Any others?
    Norn Iron Club member 473
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family