IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

First poster advice please

Hi all.
I've registered with the hope of getting some advice. I've been reading these pages for a long time so know there is plenty of good advice out there:)

I will be making a guilty plea by post for magistrates court. I intend to do this so not looking for a loop hole. My question is about what to put in the additional information box.

My NIP came through saying went through red light and it was 40 seconds into red. I was surprised so checked the images. It was then that I realised my error. Basically I was waiting behind a car at red lights on a quiet Sunday morning. The car in front slowly moved away and I followed it assuming the lights had changed. I was clocked at 10mph. It went straight to magistrates as was over 2 seconds in to the red light. Seems heavy handed for a mistake but hey ho. There was absolutely no intention to break any law. These will be my first points after over 20 years driving.

So my question is do I explain as above or just plead guilty with no explanation. I've done some reading up. Is it true that I can be charged with driving without due care and attention if I explain. Whereas I could get a more straight forward red light offence otherwise? And the former can be worse for my insurance? Could it affect the fine amount?

I hope the question makes sense. I have no intention to lie. I just don't want to provide extra information that could make the outcome worse. Am I Overthinking this? Do they take any notice of the additional info anyway?

Thanks for reading and have a nice Sunday.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Your case is not for this forum.

As we tend to major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for speeding tickets. Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work - try using a gmail account instead if you do have trouble registering) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=5

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the police (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Thanks for replying.
    Will look into it.
    Would still welcome any views.
    Regards
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The car in front slowly moved away and I followed it assuming the lights had changed.

Not a good admission to make in my opinion, you should not "assume" red lights have gone green!

This could have been a "mistake" with a bad ending!
  • That's true Jim. No excuse.

This is why I'm debating what to write with my guilty plea. The less the better?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As above Pepipoo is better. In saying that personally I wouldn't put anything.

Turn up suited and booted and simply apologise for a stupid oversight. If your pleading guilty then the magistrate will simply follow the guidelines when it comes to fine, points etc and there is little you can do to alter the outcome.

You might as well try and get the lowest fine possible and holding your hands up and saying there is no excuse is probably the best way to achieve this rather than digging a bigger hole.

Alternatively if you can't turn up and everything is done by post then you don't give them a reason to do anything other than do exactly as they are advised to.
  • That's very useful Waamo, thanks.
    I will be pleading guilty by letter. No need to attend.

I guess I will apologise for the offence and apologise for wasting the magistrate's time. I will say that I will make sure this doesn't happen again.

If there are any other nuggets of wisdom, I would be grateful to hear them. Otherwise I think my question has been answered. Thanks all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure