CCTV camera wireless

Options
We are looking at having a security camera for the house. Weve just decorated so I want something totally wireless

Any ideas ?

We arent very good with technology

Comments

• GadgetGuru
    Options
    I use the Netgear Arlo - now have 4 cameras in the house and they work brilliantly.
    I have the two downstairs set to sound the alarm etc, while the upstairs just capture footage.
    Currently set on a schedule to activate overnight (they then record on motion) and then I manually activate when the house is empty.
    The batteries last several months too. No issues at all.
    I reviewed them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgTuF_VUGjk
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You wont get totally wireless because they need power. Unless your going to have a large battery pack and charge them up every day or so.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You wont get totally wireless because they need power. Unless your going to have a large battery pack and charge them up every day or so.

The batteries in our Arlo cameras last for a little over a year.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    The batteries on these cameras do not require charging every day or so, they can last for many months between charges. Most of these type of cameras operate using motion activation, unless manually activated, and therefore the power draw on them is minimal.
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know the Netgear ones, but generally I am not a big fan of cloud-based security systems.

If you can't get total control over your cameras (i.e. the footage never leaves your house), there is always a risk (minor, major) that someone could be watching you. It's ok(-ish) if the camera is outside, but I would never ever put it in my bedroom or living room.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    arciere wrote: »
    I don't know the Netgear ones, but generally I am not a big fan of cloud-based security systems.

If you can't get total control over your cameras (i.e. the footage never leaves your house), there is always a risk (minor, major) that someone could be watching you. It's ok(-ish) if the camera is outside, but I would never ever put it in my bedroom or living room.

On the assumption these cameras are being purchased for security, why on earth would the owner put them in these rooms anyway? If your camera picks up someone entering your bedroom (whilst you're at home, or if you are out) it's basically too. darn. late.

Surely the logical thing to do is to have them cover access routes and entry points outside the house, and if that's not possible, point them at the doors and easily-accessible windows?
  • arciere
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    On the assumption these cameras are being purchased for security, why on earth would the owner put them in these rooms anyway? If your camera picks up someone entering your bedroom (whilst you're at home, or if you are out) it's basically too. darn. late.

Surely the logical thing to do is to have them cover access routes and entry points outside the house, and if that's not possible, point them at the doors and easily-accessible windows?
    OP said "We are looking at having a security camera for the house. Weve just decorated so I want something totally wireless"
    I assumed that meant inside, not outside. In any case, I'm still of the opinion that they are potentially unsafe.
    Anyway, if someone enters your house, it's going to be late regardless of where your cameras are, but I guess if you have cameras indoor, and perhaps you go on holiday, you want to know what's happening or what happened inside too.
  • GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 October 2018 at 5:37PM
    Options
    I have my Arlo cameras indoors. Not in rooms as such, but covering the hallways on each floor of the house (3 floors). However I use mine not just for security, but to generally check in when we are away - and sometimes to make sure the kids are asleep with bedroom lights off etc when I can't be bothered to walk upstairs to check!!

I read tons of reviews before I purchased mine, and it seems the Netgear Arlo are generally the most secure cloud based systems you can get. Just make sure you set a strong password!

I went wireless because we had just decorated and I didn't want to run cables around the house!
  • GadgetGuru
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    The batteries in our Arlo cameras last for a little over a year.

How do you manage that?!!!
    Mine last a few months before needing a charge - 4-6 months or so, which I am completely happy with.
    Mainly active overnight. During the day only when we are out. So not particularly heavily used.
  • arciere
    Options
    IftiBashir wrote: »
    I read tons of reviews before I purchased mine, and it seems the Netgear Arlo are generally the most secure cloud based systems you can get. Just make sure you set a strong password!
    I'm not saying anything against the Netgear Arlo, mine is more of a general thought.

When you use cloud-systems, your security is relative. It's more likely that a potential hacker targets the Netgear cloud servers, for example, than your specific camera.

Plus, hackers or not, there will always be videos of you/your family saved in some servers somewhere in China, Russia, Singapore or wherever their servers are. Maybe this data will never leave those server and will be deleted eventually, but who knows.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure