PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Road type change after exchange

Options
Hello,

We are FTB, and have exchanged on a new build shared ownership house from Bovis in Sept 2018.

On the plans sent to us by our conveyencer, the road our house is on is noted as 'Estate roads'. On the plans, the only area highlighted as relating to our plot is the house, front garden, garage, driveway and garden. There are no markings on the road that would indicate we have any responsibility for upkeep. Additionally, we have always been told right from when we first enquired, that all roads will be adopted by the council. This plan has been signed by us and we have exchanged on this basis.

As it happens, a member of my family is actually buying the plot next door, on the same road, but has only just started the legal side of things.

My family member received their plans 5 days ago, and this road is now marked as a shared driveway (including the area outside of my plot). Also, on their plan they also have a box outlined in red around the portion of road outside their house.

Having queried this with the sales office, they had not even seen the new plan and were completely unaware of the change. However, they have since confirmed it has indeed changed. We have not yet been officially notified of this change.

Couple of extra things to note:
- In my contract it states Bovis can make changes so long as it does not affect the amount or space or property value.
- In the deeds, it states that IF there is any managed land, we must pay our fair share
- Our plot is at the very start of this road so one of our worries is that this part of the road will get the most wear and tear.
- There is a large park and field opposite our plot, so another worry is people will be parking along side our road to access it, increasing wear and tear on the road.
- There aren't really any other shared ownership properties in the area, so I don't want to pull out.
- I cannot afford a non shared ownership property due the size of property required and my current income.

I will be contacting my conveyencer early this week regarding the matter. However in the mean time:

a) Can they make this change without breaking the contract?
b) Does anyone have any experience with living with a shared driveway?
c) Could I potentially use this to negotiate extras? If so, is this done via conveyencer or sales office?
d) Any other advice/opinions welcomed.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cpw86 wrote: »
    ...Additionally, we have always been told right from when we first enquired, that all roads will be adopted by the council. This plan has been signed by us and we have exchanged on this basis.
    Possibly tangential to your question, but is this really the exact wording the developer used, and have they put it in writing?

The usual approach is that at the start of the development the developer and council will agree on the roads where there is an intention to adopt, but this is not binding on either side. Once the development (or stages of it) is finished the developer will negotiate with the council to complete the adoption. A lot can happen from start to finish, and it is not unknown for a council ultimately to refuse to adopt - hence the statement "will adopt" might have been an overstatement of the true position.

These days councils tend to avoid adopting roads if they can, and developers often go along with this as building 'shared driveways' is often cheaper than building roads to the standard required for adoption.

So the precise wording of your agreement/contract is going to be vital to working out your current position.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Airkraft
    Airkraft Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2018 at 9:06PM
    Options
    cpw86 wrote: »
    Hello,

We are FTB, and have exchanged on a new build shared ownership house from Bovis in Sept 2018.

On the plans sent to us by our conveyencer, the road our house is on is noted as 'Estate roads'. On the plans, the only area highlighted as relating to our plot is the house, front garden, garage, driveway and garden. There are no markings on the road that would indicate we have any responsibility for upkeep. Additionally, we have always been told right from when we first enquired, that all roads will be adopted by the council. This plan has been signed by us and we have exchanged on this basis.

As it happens, a member of my family is actually buying the plot next door, on the same road, but has only just started the legal side of things.

My family member received their plans 5 days ago, and this road is now marked as a shared driveway (including the area outside of my plot). Also, on their plan they also have a box outlined in red around the portion of road outside their house.

Having queried this with the sales office, they had not even seen the new plan and were completely unaware of the change. However, they have since confirmed it has indeed changed. We have not yet been officially notified of this change.

Couple of extra things to note:
    - In my contract it states Bovis can make changes so long as it does not affect the amount or space or property value.
    - In the deeds, it states that IF there is any managed land, we must pay our fair share
    - Our plot is at the very start of this road so one of our worries is that this part of the road will get the most wear and tear.
    - There is a large park and field opposite our plot, so another worry is people will be parking along side our road to access it, increasing wear and tear on the road.
    - There aren't really any other shared ownership properties in the area, so I don't want to pull out.
    - I cannot afford a non shared ownership property due the size of property required and my current income.

I will be contacting my conveyencer early this week regarding the matter. However in the mean time:

a) Can they make this change without breaking the contract?
    b) Does anyone have any experience with living with a shared driveway?
    c) Could I potentially use this to negotiate extras? If so, is this done via conveyencer or sales office?
    d) Any other advice/opinions welcomed.

Thanks in advance. :)

You should speak to your solicitor urgently about this.

The contract should explain what you are buying.
    I am concerned about the rather open-ended term you say states "Bovis can make changes so long as it does not affect the amount or space or property value."
    I have never seen such an open ended term I would suggest is extremely in favour of the seller. At the very least, tyhe solicitor should have highlighted this to you before exchange, and explained the possible consequences of accepting it
    (But I accept it's very hard to shift a large builder from the terms of their contract)

An unadopted road will, in many cases, adversely affect the value of any property that relies upon it for access (compared to it being adopted or planned to be adopted with appropriate safegaurds in place to ensure it will be one day)

As for the adopted road, if that is what was promised, that is what you should expect. The solicitor should have investigated what safegaurds were in place to ensure the road was adopted at a later stage, if that was proposed but not yet done. The solicitor should have then explained what that safeguard was to you, so that you could sleep easy that the road would be adopted ... one day.

In my opinion, you don't want to 'trade' this for any thing else. Not only does an adopted road mean the council will have to take care of it forever, but more importantly it will need to be built to the council's demanding standards. In addition the services that run undertneath (sewers etc) will also need to be adopted by the appropraite authority - else you will be responsible for their upkeep.
    Any streetlighting you will have to pay for repair, upkeep and even the electricity used, unless adopted.

If roads are not adopted, expect them to turn out like this (as no one can afford to repair them)

In fact, in that area (Jaywick) I understand that after years of arguing, many of the roads have now been re-surfaced at a cost of £5million

It took many years, and I suggest this is the exception rather than the rule. The roads were so bad that buses, and even emergency services were refusing to travel along them as doing so caused damage to vehicles.

A different road, but how some look today

But I know of other, more affluent areas, where unadopted roads are as bad if not worse, and there is no chance at present of anyone repairing them.

I'm also aware of places where the roads have not been adopted for about 20 years, despite them supposed to have been. But the safegaurd is that there is a pot of money elsewhere, ringfenced, to ensure the roads will eventaully be adopted.

In tjhe meantime, the builder has to sweep the roads himself, pay for the street electricity, and maintain the roads generally.
    They have changed the streetlights 3 times now. Initially they installed traditional sodium lights. Then on an attempt to secure adoption, the council insisted on low energy bulbs. Since then the builder has had to install LED streetlights, as that is what the council demand.
    Also, the builder has to continually change any damaged to kerbstones, etc, as the council will only accept a 'pergect' road on adoption.

Meanwhile, the residents have all had a rebate of their surface water fees, since none of the water passes directly into a sewerage company sewer - as the sewerage company has not adopted the sewers whilst the roads are not adopted by the council.

Fortunately, the builder is still on site, still expanding the development (almost into a small town of it's own now), so there is still hope the builder will secure the sdoption of the roads. Otherwise, they'll have to call in the reserve pot, find another builder, and get the roads adopted that way.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you will find that the adopted roads are roads that anyone on the estate needs to drive over to access their property. If the road outside your property isn't a road that everyone would need to drive over then it is a shared access.
  • Airkraft
    Airkraft Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    I think you will find that the adopted roads are roads that anyone on the estate needs to drive over to access their property. If the road outside your property isn't a road that everyone would need to drive over then it is a shared access.

The OP said:
    So it sounds like quite a few people will need to use this road.

As for parking, if it's a private road, then you can restrict parking to those that own the road (or anyone they so permit, such as visitors)

But how you enforce it is another question. There's a whole bunch of people on the parking board who think anyone can park on other peoples private land as they feel fit...:cool:
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Airkraft wrote: »
    There's a whole bunch of people on the parking board who think anyone can park on other peoples private land as they feel fit...:cool:

No there's not ... I'm not aware of ANYONE that frequents the Parking board who feels that way. (I appreciate you've probably posted that just to entice a "bite"). ;)

In residential cases we merely point out that 3rd party companies (who are brought in to solve a "parking problem") will turn on the residents themselves once the "problem parking" issue is resolved - after all, these companies are only in it to make money; who do you think they'll target once the "problem parking" revenue stream has dried up?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Possibly tangential to your question, but is this really the exact wording the developer used, and have they put it in writing?

The usual approach is that at the start of the development the developer and council will agree on the roads where there is an intention to adopt, but this is not binding on either side. Once the development (or stages of it) is finished the developer will negotiate with the council to complete the adoption. A lot can happen from start to finish, and it is not unknown for a council ultimately to refuse to adopt - hence the statement "will adopt" might have been an overstatement of the true position.
    ^ This, with bells on.

Right up until the moment the council say "Yes, we're definitely adopting this, in the condition it sits now", there is absolutely no way that the developer can make any definitive statements. They can only state their intention.

You want to make sure you live on a road that's been adopted? Buy a house on a road that's already adopted.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    No there's not ... I'm not aware of ANYONE that frequents the Parking board who feels that way. (I appreciate you've probably posted that just to entice a "bite"). ;)

In residential cases we merely point out that 3rd party companies (who are brought in to solve a "parking problem") will turn on the residents themselves once the "problem parking" issue is resolved - after all, these companies are only in it to make money; who do you think they'll target once the "problem parking" revenue stream has dried up?

I quite agree no-one on the parking board feels that way and they do make the point when someone has parked selfishly. Personally, though, I found it a bit galling that some bad offenders (including someone who had parked in an emergency bay) were still helped to try and avoid the charge. As a director of an estate where we have had on and off parking issues it went against the grain. I do understand why, though - it is a board which is dedicated to fighting parking charges and many PPCs are cowboys. I stopped posting there because of that conflict in my head!

It's worth saying that, while what you say is true re "turning on the residents" there are ways for clued up ManCos etc to deal with that. For example self ticketing with the power to cancel tickets yourselves. That was the one we were looking at
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 October 2018 at 4:21PM
    Options
    Search the forum for 'shared drive' or 'shared driveway'. Most of us wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. Although it's worse when the shared bit runs between the houses. Might not be quite so bad with a shared space at the front.

Trouble is, there's always some people who think rules don't apply to them. Even in my home with a double space at the front, my bloody next door neighbour's parents sometimes park their car across the empty bit until the space outside the son's house becomes free. They don't usually tell us they've done this until the dad has had a ten minute chat with my OH over the fence, then just drops into conversation saying 'oh, by the way, we've had to park outside briefly until a space turns up'. Grrr. They've more or less moved in for the last 3 months or so as the son's been ill. I don't care if I don't often use one side of my drive - I don't want anyone parking outside it (plus it's on a parking website so who knows when someone might turn up!).

Neither of us want to cause an issue so at the moment have ignored it. If it was a shared driveway, I should imagine it happens more often, especially if one side has more than one car and lots of visitors. If one has no car, I expect it could cause even bigger future probs!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    ^ This, with bells on.

Right up until the moment the council say "Yes, we're definitely adopting this, in the condition it sits now", there is absolutely no way that the developer can make any definitive statements. They can only state their intention.

You want to make sure you live on a road that's been adopted? Buy a house on a road that's already adopted.

A question in mind there - if the developer has lodged that "pot of money" with the Council ready for the road to be adopted - then what happens to that "pot" if the Council then refuses to adopt the road subsequently?

The Council would obviously be due to hand that money back.

So - at what point in the adoption of roads does the developer have to hand that "pot of money" over to the local Council?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Get on the planning portal and see what has been approved for the site and keep a close eye on it.

Developer will be making changes and not telling people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure