PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New build solicitors

Hi everyone,

I’m a first time buyer and looking for some advice.

I’ve just put down the reservation fee on a new build off plan. I was offered legal fees if I use their recommended solicitor but I’ve read it’s important to use your own solicitor. I also had two recommendations for solicitors from good friends who have recently bought or in the process of buying.

So I asked my first choice solicitor and after a few emails she said it would be better if I used the developers recommended solicitor as they’ll know the site better. I then contacted my second recommendation. He sent me a quote and said to contact him if he wanted me to instruct him. Shortly after this I went to the site to sign the reservation papers and the sales person (different person this time) asked if I wanted to use their recommended solicitor and that he’s done lots of work on the site already. And it turns out it’s the same solicitor as solicitor number two.

So now I’m not really sure what to do. My recommended solicitors are 1) told me to use the developers recommendations and 2) is the developers recommendation.
The price the developer quoted for the solicitor was £5 more than the quote I got from the solicitor himself.

And the solicitor didn’t mention at all that he was familiar with the site or had downs work for them before.

Does this seem a bit shifty? And any tips on choosing a new solicitor? Is t really awful to use the recommended solicitor? One of the solicitors advised I use the recommended solicitor. Has anyone had really bad experiences using the recommended solicitors? Are they not duty bound to look out for the buyer?

Sorry for the ramble.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• What's important is you read and understand everything you get sent by the solicitors and asked to sign.

Not reading (or understanding) was what got so many people into the trap of having a house with ground rent that doubled every 10 years making the property unsaleable.

Generally, I've found all conveyancing solicitors to be shysters, apart from the last one I used who was coincidentally the buyers solicitor on my previous house sale and a nightmare to deal with (never have I seen anyone with such attention to detail), so he seemed like the ideal solicitor for when we had to buy our next house. And he was.
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    alumende27 wrote: »
    Not reading (or understanding) was what got so many people into the trap of having a house with ground rent that doubled every 10 years making the property unsaleable

As someone who dealt with a number of those properties and got the lease's rectified. I find it incredible that they were not noticed when the stamp duty calculation was completed.
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Beeper wrote: »
    Is t really awful to use the recommended solicitor?
    Not always, but can you be really sure that there is adequate independent advice coming from a firm who has already had dealings with the other side?

It’s not uncommon for the developers’ solicitor and sales team to exert huge pressure on you to complete, particularly coming up to their year end to exchange on purchases, even where there are clear conveyancing problems. If you have a good, independent conveyancing solicitor, they are less likely to bend under pressure from the developer and act in your interests.
  • Beeper
    Beeper Posts: 40 Forumite
    Thanks. That’s what I’m concerned about. It’s just frustrating that one of my recommendations doesn’t want the job and the other is also the developers recommendation. What’s the best way to choose a solicitor if you have no further recommendations?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Beeper wrote: »
    Thanks. That’s what I’m concerned about. It’s just frustrating that one of my recommendations doesn’t want the job and the other is also the developers recommendation. What’s the best way to choose a solicitor if you have no further recommendations?

Can you ask anyone at your work who they used, or do your parents have a solicitor? Your solicitor does not have to be local. Our family solicitor is 100 miles away and only need to visit once in a blue moon.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    pawlala wrote: »
    Not always, but can you be really sure that there is adequate independent advice coming from a firm who has already had dealings with the other side?
    It's an especially poor start when a solicitor approached independently doesn't mention working for the other side.

OP. I'd start looking for solicitor number three and four. See what they would charge, and look online for any positive or negative feedback.

Someone who doesn't want the job won't do a good one, and I'd run a mile from a solicitor who didn't openly say they were the same one the developer is using.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Beeper
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Can you ask anyone at your work who they used, or do your parents have a solicitor? Your solicitor does not have to be local. Our family solicitor is 100 miles away and only need to visit once in a blue moon.

I don’t know any one else who has bought their house recently and liked their solicitor, except the two I’ve mentioned
    EachPenny wrote: »
    It's an especially poor start when a solicitor approached independently doesn't mention working for the other side.

OP. I'd start looking for solicitor number three and four. See what they would charge, and look online for any positive or negative feedback.

Someone who doesn't want the job won't do a good one, and I'd run a mile from a solicitor who didn't openly say they were the same one the developer is using.

Thanks. Just not sure how tochoose a good one. Will check google and look for some reviews
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    EachPenny wrote: »
    It's an especially poor start when a solicitor approached independently doesn't mention working for the other side
    Was the solicitor told/asked about this particular builder/development as it was a recommendation?

The solicitors don't work for "the other side." The developer will have a usual solicitor who acts for it and will have a list of other solicitors who have done work for purchasers on the site before.

I don't know a solicitor which will breach their professional ethics to protect a business source. Perhaps others on here do?

By the same token, many suggest steering clear of developer mortgage brokers. Those who approach us direct (a broker retained by one national and two regional builders) pay a fee and get exactly the same service as those who are introduced by builders who pay is nothing.

When it comes down to it, no business source is worth your career.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Beeper
    I phoned the solicitor on Wednesday to ask for a quote (was given the name a number by a friend, he did the conveyancing for his recent purchase), gave him the address and developer and development/ estate name. Had a meeting with the develops sales person the next day, she recommended a solicitor and said he’s done a lot of the houses on the estate already and it was the same person
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    kingstreet wrote: »
    Was the solicitor told/asked about this particular builder/development as it was a recommendation?
    Based on the response from solicitor one I assumed the OP explained the nature of the transaction to solicitor 2 - but I admit this is an assumption.
    The solicitors don't work for "the other side." The developer will have a usual solicitor who acts for it and will have a list of other solicitors who have done work for purchasers on the site before.
    Fair comment, poor choice of words, perhaps I should have said "associated with the other side".

If the solicitor was aware of the developer the OP was proposing to purchase from, and aware that they had a 'pay your fees' arrangement with that developer, then rather than providing a quote and saying 'contact us if you want to instruct', I'd have hoped the solicitor would point out that the 'pay your fees' arrangement was in place and that the OP should speak to the developer to make sure they were eligible to get the fees paid. The developer might decline to pay if the OP had approached the solicitor independently based on a personal recommendation.
    I don't know a solicitor which will breach their professional ethics to protect a business source. Perhaps others on here do?
    I am sure others on here may know of such solicitors. But if they do it would be very unwise to mention names on a public forum. :whistle:
    When it comes down to it, no business source is worth your career.
    Again, no names, but history suggests this is not a view that all solicitors have always subscribed to.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport