Very.co.uk late payment on incorrect charges

Made a post about this on the consumer rights board, but realised this board might be better.

Wife ordered an item from Very.co.uk, order was charged to account rather than CC
Raised a return and returned item via Collect+ within 14 days.
Received SMS May 15th saying return had been processed.

Received another SMS May 18th, saying 'Payment due' and 'Ignore if you've recently made payment'
Assumed the recently processed return counted and duly ignored (a mistake in hindsight but personal issues took priority)
Received another SMS June 27th saying 'there is a small balance you may have forgotten about'
Checked the account and while the value of the item had been credited, the outgoing (standard) postage of £3.99 hadn't (required under distance selling rules).
Because of the delay, interest of £0.21 had been added bringing the account to £4.20

Contacted customer support immediately, as soon as the postage charge was pointed out to them it was removed without us having to ask. (A legal obligation, not goodwill)

When asked about the interest, we were told a formal complaint must be made, which was opened there and then.

Now waiting for the complaint handler to call.

It's not the 21p we're concerned about, it's a potential late payment marker.
Our position is that the debt is not owed and never was.

Very may well be perfectly reasonable about this when they call, so I might be worried about nothing, but I'd like to know where we stand in the event they aren't.

Their payment reminder message instructed us to ignore it if payment had already been made, we had a reasonable belief it had been credited to 0. Perhaps we should have checked the account sooner, but are they allowed to ding my wife's credit file for a debt which legally should not have existed as the item was returned before the balance was due?

The account appears on her Experian file, not checked the others yet. In good standing as of the last time the report was generated.

TIA
3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux

Comments

• Postage is not refunded when returns are made to my knowledge.

I don't know of any (or many) online retailers that also refund the postage you pay when ordering an item and then return it
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    !!! wrote: »
    Postage is not refunded when returns are made to my knowledge.

I don't know of any (or many) online retailers that also refund the postage you pay when ordering an item and then return it

I'm trying to get it confirmed, but what I've read so far states that basic postage has to be refunded when a return is made under the short term right to reject. If you pay extra for next day etc they don't have to refund the difference.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/#buyingfromhome

They don't have to refund the return postage, but on this occasion they offered collect+ returns FOC.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • I can't see anything on that link that specifies that the postage cost you made when making the order will be refunded
  • Raxiel
    edited 28 June 2018 at 4:52PM
    !!! wrote: »
    I can't see anything on that link that specifies that the postage cost you made when making the order will be refunded

Your refund must include the least expensive delivery option but if you chose a more expensive delivery you'll need to cover the difference.
    It does go on to state:
    Be sure to specifically ask for delivery to be included as some stores don't add it automatically.
    However, I now just found the following on Very's T&C's
    Our 28 Day Approval Guarantee
    ...Returns are free under our Approval Guarantee....

Your Right To Cancel Your Order under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations.
    ...If you cancel, we will reimburse any payment received, including the standard delivery charge, by the original means of payment...

(I don't mean to be argumentative, I appreciate you challenging my assumptions)
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    I had a member of leadership call me once from their home address, on a Sunday, due to the absolutely disgraceful treatment I received regarding the return of a hire-purchase item which was defective.

After a world of promises and guarantees, I received nothing of the sorts. I was ignored after that phone call and never heard anything back. I had grounds to peruse further, however it requires the patience of someone who has lived a life of meditation.

I would hope the same treatment isn't applied in your case, however when it comes to a credit file's reputation being at stake, I would recommend to keep perusing this regardless of their approach towards you.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • Raxiel
    T-G-C wrote: »
    I had a member of leadership call me once from their home address, on a Sunday, due to the absolutely disgraceful treatment I received regarding the return of a hire-purchase item which was defective.

After a world of promises and guarantees, I received nothing of the sorts. I was ignored after that phone call and never heard anything back. I had grounds to peruse further, however it requires the patience of someone who has lived a life of meditation.

I would hope the same treatment isn't applied in your case, however when it comes to a credit file's reputation being at stake, I would recommend to keep perusing this regardless of their approach towards you.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
    Very actually cancelled the interest on Friday, but the complaint handler didn't get hold of us until Sunday (they did call, we just missed it). They assured us that the balance is £0 and no late payment markers will be placed. Will keep an eye on the reports nonetheless.

Went back over the timeline to figure out what happened.

This all came about because for some reason (timing of the order and the April statement I guess) the postage was added to the May statement, generated May 18th, due June 15th - AFTER the return was processed on the 15th.

Don't know if we'll use Very again in future, but we certainly won't be making use of their credit facilities and will make immediate payment by CC if we do.
  • I have also had a terrible experience with Very.co.uk that has ruined my credit file, all due to their poor customer service. I would advise anyone to avoid Very/Shop Direct at all costs - it ain't worth it!
  • northstarj wrote: »
    I have also had a terrible experience with Very.co.uk that has ruined my credit file, all due to their poor customer service. I would advise anyone to avoid Very/Shop Direct at all costs - it ain't worth it!
    I am a perfectly happy Very customer and would recommend as an online vendor of clothing. I'm just wondering what difficulties you have had, as you need to explain what has happened. Maybe, someone here can help you, if you were to explain the exact nature of the problem :)

Edit: Just read your other post, where you have again complained about Very without describing what has gone wrong...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family