Advice Required re: Natwest Advantage Gold Account

Options
Hi,

A few years ago I had an Advantage Gold account with the Nat West. I signed up for one of these accounts so that I could have a credit card, but never used any of the benefits that you could supposedly get from it - holiday insurance and the like.

After a few years I closed the account as I was moving banks and so I took a letter into my branch and cut up the card.

Later I found out that I had still been charged for this account and had to pay a large sum of money to avoid being taken to court by them. This came to light when I was applying for a new mortgage in a different city. The financial chap at the time said the Nat West shouldn't have done this, but as moving house is stressful and life carries on.

Today I have been clearing out some old boxes and I have found an old bank statement and it has started me wonder whether or not it this something I could claim back?

Any advice would be great,

Many thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For what reason?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you closed the account more than 3 years ago (and more than 6 years since you opened the account) then it'll be time barred for complaint anyway.

That said it should be a reasonable cause for complaint that you cancelled it and they carried on charging you (are you sure it wasn't something hanging over like a final monthly charge etc?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure