Hundreds of free water fountains to be installed in London - MSE News

Options
A £5 million fund has been launched to help deliver hundreds of public water fountains across London from 2019...
Read the full story:
'Hundreds of free water fountains to be installed in London'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone even considered the public health angle? Or does virtual signalling once again triumph over common sense?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Has anyone even considered the public health angle? Or does virtual signalling once again triumph over common sense?
    It would stun me if the Faculty of Public Health and PHE were not fully behind this. We've come a long way since 1854.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing to be negative about - it's a great idea and I will deffo use them.......
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I was a kid, there were plenty of water fountains about - in public parks, school playgrounds and even in some streets.

Who took them all away just so someone could make political capital by putting them back again and making us all pay for something we once had.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they're like the ones in the airports they'll be not signposted to and hidden away in an obscure corner so no-one can find them. And too small to easily fit a bottle underneath.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    .......and there I was thinking councils were hard up, clearly they are not if they can spend money subsiding the few who want drinking water available on a street corner.
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    What a bunch of miseries on here.

How can this not be good news.
    Probably very good for tourists - making London a more attractive place to be. Also less plastic bottles thrown away - or is this not good news.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    It would stun me if the Faculty of Public Health and PHE were not fully behind this. We've come a long way since 1854.

Yes, and with the number and spread of communicable diseases facilitated by the speed of modern transport we will pretty soon be back there.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Options
    If anyone's looking for free water, this website lists businesses that will happily refill your water bottle:

https://refill.org.uk/

You can download an app, and tell it when you refill to donate 13p to the scheme. Or you can just use the website. Or just look for the blue sticker on the door of participating businesses.

It's a great idea.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is an utter waste of money - it'll create something hardly anybody ever uses, but many abuse (peeing in them while walking home drunk at night) ... they'll become vandalised. There'll be ongoing costs of maintenance and, finally, the bill to remove them.

If you want people to have access to free water it's better to encourage local businesses to provide it - they get free PR and footfall, everybody wins, at no cost to taxpayers.

Who are these for? Is this some middle-class "plastic is bad, re-use water bottles" game? It's a drop in the ocean, to throw in a pun ....

Utterly pointless and a waste of time/money.

Whoever thought this up - and whoever supported them - needs their heads knocking together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure