Options for loan to finance a large(ish) extension?

Options
Hopefully this is placed in the right forum and I haven't missed any obvious threads.

Having looked online I'm not 100% sure what my options are for trying to raise funds for a 2 storey extension on our current property.

Our mortgage is a few months away from ending its fixed period, the house has a conservative value of £260K, with just over 20% equity probably without digging out the statements.

Looking at trying to raise £70K? No idea if that's even doable tbh, so would like some very broad advice from others who may have achieved similar please regarding what options there are.

I've considered personal loans, second charge mortgages etc but wondered if there was anything else I'm missing.

Cheers :-)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You'll need a mortgage/secured loan, but you won't get that on the numbers you've given.
  • Compass
    Options
    You'll need a mortgage/secured loan, but you won't get that on the numbers you've given.

Wow that took almost 60 seconds for the internet to !!!! on my chips!

I shall see what other pearls come rolling in.......thank you for your input.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The only other option apart from savings is to break it up into smaller amounts, and try to borrow on credit cards/ smaller remortgage.

However that leaves you susceptible to standard card rates when the promo periods end.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Compass wrote: »
    Wow that took almost 60 seconds for the internet to !!!! on my chips!

I shall see what other pearls come rolling in.......thank you for your input.

You can test that out on your calculator yourself.

Start stop watch

Type 260000 * 20% = 52000

Stop the stop watch

That is amount of equity you have in your property - lenders wont let you release 100% of it, maybe 85% - so you dont have enough to pull out of your mortgage.

Look to save up for a few years or sell and buy a bigger property.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should have some decent savings if you are looking to borrow money.

Use them first then look into a loan.
  • swardean
    swardean Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at self build mortgage or loan providers, these may be able to assist you.

The value of your house after the extension should increase, so it may be possible that you can mortgage well under the new house value.
  • djphig
    djphig Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2019 at 10:18AM
    Options
    Secured Loans or, as they're now known, 2nd charge mortgages will allow you to go up to 100% of your property valuation before the extension takes place. So the max borrowing against your property would be around 45k (taking into account fees which are normally added to the loan and a little give & take on the valuation figure). It won't be possible to borrow the full 70k
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As others have said there is insufficient equity in your property to borrow the full amount for the extension. Do you have any other debt and what is your income as you will also be checked for affordability.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure