Forum Announcement

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    User agent strings provide that information @tgroom57 , or other addons can such as Google Analytics (afaik) :)

I only use a desktop based browser, despite "loving tech" (yes really!) I only have a basic calls/text phone and see absolutely no need for myself to have a smart phone. :D

I can cope without internet for an hour while I'm out! :rotfl:
  • cinders59
    cinders59 Posts: 7,612
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 October 2019 at 12:56PM
    kpwll wrote: »
    I hope for us old timers we can still enjoy the 'old view/format', if we wish.

agree Old view format, I have had to use in chrome and do an add on extention of stylish to have the full page wiew with a lighter green colour.
    I have trouble with the blue screen and have to use desktop,
    Thanks to all who post comps :)
    ITV winners membersclub#2
  • cinders59
    cinders59 Posts: 7,612
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 October 2019 at 12:57PM
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    This is the Green format:

bN2Fuin.png

This is the Blue format:

IGs06cI.png

I have the green one but also have it filling the whole page up which I fine easier to read, Also when I commented on this post, it took me to my comment and had to go back to page 1 is this going to be the way it will go on all posts now?
    Thanks to all who post comps :)
    ITV winners membersclub#2
  • Humdinger1
    Humdinger1 Posts: 1,876
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Marcus

I know that spam buttons are open to abuse, or to mistaken use esp on a small mobile screen. However, there are numerous messages that are so plainly spam (subject, hyphen between every letter to avoid filters) that it would be good to be able to report them as spam with 1 click. Can you enable this pls? It would help the mods too I think. Thanks Humdinger
  • Humdinger1 wrote: »
    Marcus

I know that spam buttons are open to abuse, or to mistaken use esp on a small mobile screen. However, there are numerous messages that are so plainly spam (subject, hyphen between every letter to avoid filters) that it would be good to be able to report them as spam with 1 click. Can you enable this pls? It would help the mods too I think. Thanks Humdinger

It's already there, and looks like this
    report.gif
    (old version)
    or this
    vY1TIcO.jpg
    (new version)
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The whole question of viewing on a mobile or on a laptop applies to most websites, not just this forum.

Far too many people (mostly millennials) think that they don't need a laptop, they can swan around tapping the screen of their smartphone, and access everything online.

They really can't. Doing that is like looking through a keyhole into a room beyond the door, you can see some bits, but not the whole picture.

To access this forum properly, you need a laptop, and preferably the green version, not that !!!!!!!ised ridiculous blue abomination.

Please optimise the new site with all this in mind.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 October 2019 at 4:08PM
    As a regular forum user I would be hard pressed to identify what within the technical implementation of this forum is "broken". It is a quick loading site with an uncluttered layout. It is not bogged down by loads of widgets or layers of javascript. Content is presented in plain HTML and styled with CSS. It has a simple heirarchical menu structure and simple URL format.

Please resist the urge to "make it look nicer" as that usually sacrifices usability and speed. The gold is to be found in the content, the actual written words, not in the page layout or colour scheme. Many other sites have overlooked this point over the decades and then seen their regular users desert in droves.

EDIT: now seeing a post further up the page ... I use a wide-screen tablet with "desktop" User-Agent string in the browser settings and am on the Green Screen version of the site.
  • pippo
    pippo Posts: 3,891
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cinders59 wrote: »
    I have the green one but also have it filling the whole page up which I fine easier to read, Also when I commented on this post, it took me to my comment and had to go back to page 1 is this going to be the way it will go on all posts now?

Prefer Green
  • rwgray
    rwgray Posts: 554
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm still enjoying my outdated interface, and hope the new one is as retro and unshiny as possible.

With a search engine that works more than half the time...

Rich.x
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,700
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Deleted - can't post image.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income