Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman...............

Comments

• Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    likelyfran wrote: »
    Oh for goodness' sake!

What? The OP says got the item and is tempted to claim they haven't? I know who I'm tempted to say 'Oh for goodness sake' to!
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Ignoring the comment from OP about going to report they didn't get the item...

How would you feel if you were the customer sending the item that you had paid for a service you didn't receive...I don't send stuff recorded for the postie to sign for it, or for him/her to deliver it without a signature. People send things recorded because that's what they want, they wouldn't pay the extra otherwise
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    mazza111 wrote: »
    Ignoring the comment from OP about going to report they didn't get the item...

How would you feel if you were the customer sending the item that you had paid for a service you didn't receive...I don't send stuff recorded for the postie to sign for it, or for him/her to deliver it without a signature. People send things recorded because that's what they want, they wouldn't pay the extra otherwise

As long as they received the item I doubt I would care. When I send something to someone I will ask if they have received it, I wouldn't ask whether they signed for it.

It would only be an issue if there was a problem with the delivery and they produced a forged signature as proof of delivery.
  • mazza111
    goater78 wrote: »
    As long as they received the item I doubt I would care. When I send something to someone I will ask if they have received it, I wouldn't ask whether they signed for it.

It would only be an issue if there was a problem with the delivery and they produced a forged signature as proof of delivery.

So you're quite happy to pay for a service you don't receive...
  • Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite

In a way yes...kind of! If 99.9% are delivered okay I'd be happy to claim on the 0.1% that weren't.

It's a bit like an insurance policy to me to be honest.
  • There was a postman once that was delivering an MP3 player worth £120 and he put it into our blue BIN, which was sitting out in the driveway STILL ready to be emptied that morning. My wife who was taking my children to school came back just before the bin men had arrived and seen the letter through the door saying that it was in the blue bin outside... How stupid can they get? The entire street's blue bins are always overflowing with blag bags hanging out of them, not to mention others putting their "last minute" black bags in the nearest or available bin regardless if it's there's or not. Imagine the delight of someone opening it up and thinking "Oooooh what's this sitting in here".

No common sense some of them!!!

We never phoned up, or complained. We got the product so we were happy enough, but just imagine if the bin men had came. They actually arrived just 10 minutes after my wife had collected the parcel
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin

The service I am paying for is to have something delivered. If it is delivered then fair play I am more than happy!

I would suspect they only sign it themselves if they are 100% certain the item is being delivered to the right address and is safe. I doubt they would forge a signature and then leave the parcel somewhere unsecured where the parcel could be stolen.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would suspect they only sign it themselves if they are 100% certain the item is being delivered to the right address and is safe. I doubt they would forge a signature and then leave the parcel somewhere unsecured where the parcel could be stolen.
    This is presumably the case for those people in rural areas where they know and trust their regular postperson. I used to live in a small block of 6 flats with a common letterbox and everything got dumped in the hallway; a dishonest temporary postie could have had a field day there; sign with a squiggle (pocket the goods) and if challenged claim that a neighbour signed for it and it was left in the hallway.

As an occasional eBayer; obtaining a signature is some protection against dishonest buyers - who regularly do what the OP thought about.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The service I am paying for is to have something delivered. If it is delivered then fair play I am more than happy!

They can still be 100% wrong though. My postie regularly gets confused between my street address and 3 others. Or he'll get confused with the numbers. I'm actually starting to think he just plays "lucky dip" when delivering our mail :rotfl: Its not like (for example) I get number 14s mail only. I might get a few letters for myself, one for number 34, one for the next again street.

He has signed for a recorded delivery item and put it through a door he thought was mine. RM's system showed it as delivered to my address correctly but obviously, it wasnt. Luckily the person was honest and brought it round the next evening.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • mazza111

WRONG - You are paying extra with Recorded Delivery to have a signature by the recipient...Why use recorded if you're happy for any tom !!!!!! or harry to sign for it especially if it goes to a different address?

And I'm afraid you're wrong on the latter part too. I've had recorded stuff signed for through my letter box for the man down the street. My dd has had to change everything to be sent to my address because a lot of her mail was going missing. It just takes one numpty postie to cause major problems.... Trust me on this one, I was in the job for years and seen the problems it causes.
    They can still be 100% wrong though. My postie regularly gets confused between my street address and 3 others. Or he'll get confused with the numbers. I'm actually starting to think he just plays "lucky dip" when delivering our mail Its not like (for example) I get number 14s mail only. I might get a few letters for myself, one for number 34, one for the next again street.

Might not even him who's doing the sorting for the duty, could be someone else and he's left to try and sort it out as he goes in all fairness. It's quite easy to have 5 letters for number 14 and have one in the middle for #7 and not notice it if you know what I mean.

Seen that happen so many times unfortunately it's quite easy to miss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport