Lowell Group and Vodafone!

Hello kind people with good ideas - would really appreciate your guidance with this one.

Checked my Experian credit rating to find I’d been seriously downgraded due to a default with Lowell Group. Haven’t had any correspondence from them but we have moved house reasonably recently. So we emailed them a prove it email and they’ve come back to say that the alleged debt is with Vodafone for an unpaid bill.

Now I know exactly what this is about. After I ended my rolling contact with Vodafone a few years ago, Requested my PAK code and used it (so could not have used my phone with Vodafone even if I wanted to!) they continued to send me bills. This happened every month for several months. Every month I contacted Vodafone customer services to complain and every month I was told it was a database error and the problem should be resolved. It was infuriating. Eventually it stopped so we presumed they had finally resolved the issue. I have screenshots of many of these conversations with Vodafone customer services as I suspected we may need evidence of this.

So what is the next step? Do I send my proof to Lowell and ask them to remove the default on my credit file?

Do I take this up with Vodafone again?

Is it time to contact an ombudsman?

All of the above?

Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• To clarify I literally have it in writing from Vodafone that I do not owe them any money, I will not be harassed further for any money and it will not affect my credit score. Yet exactly that has happened. It is so ridiculous and I am so angry about it.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

Oh surprise surprise Vodafone again !!

Lowell will of bought the alleged debt, so you must now deal with them.

You should write explaining the situation, that no debt exists, but it’s highly likely Vodafone did not resolve the issue, just sold the problem on, in this case to Lowell.

You may have to take this matter up again with Vodafone and progress it to ombudsman services if nessessary
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Definitely speak to Lowell about it if you have proof that this is an error on Vodafones part. I have a debt with them currently that they bought from Natwest and I have found them to be very understandable.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 July 2018 at 9:25PM
    Vodaphone have a company rep on these forums who may help.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=791417

From their profile details you can contact them

vdfn.co/1d98zmW - To access the form enter the code WRT135 & quote MSE in the question box.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi CunningStunts,

I understand your concerns over the information on your credit report.

So we can access the account in question and investigate what has happened, please email us via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check it's been received.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Ditel
    Ditel Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have a similar problem with Lowell. I left the UK nearly 5 years ago in 2014 and cancelled my contract with T-Mobile, paid everything up to date. We left the UK debt free and with good credit rating. In 2016 the occupier of our old house forwarded me letters from Lowell claiming that I owed T-Mobile £179.25, I contacted Lowell by email, explained I had left the UK in 2014 and gave them forwarding address and said I had no idea what this "debt" was about. They acknowledged the email and later confirmed the case was closed. I have just received another letter forwarded to me which states that they hadn't heard from me, had taken me to Court and a Warrant of Control Had been issued on 10th July !

I immediately emailed them querying what on earth was going on! Only to receive a reply saying it was the first time they had heard from me (not the case and I have sent them snapshots of my email in 2016 and their reply!) and they had every right to enforce the Warrant of Control. Obviously I do not want the occupiers of my old home to be subjected to such a visit, but more to the point I do not owe money and now am being hassled.

Can they enforce anything against the occupiers in my old house?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure