The start of my debt free journey

Hi all

I just want to share the start of my journey. Due to situations which have been out of our control my husband and I found ourselves in a total combined debt of £63k. The majority of which is unsecured on cards etc.

We have a very healthy household income but needless to say... debt that racks up so quickly becomes unmanageable so quickly too. Since the beginning of the year I have felt sick with worry every morning. Things got so bad recently I started to look at IVAs and Bankruptcy. I know absolutely nothing about these things but thought it might be the only way out.

Thankfully, someone on here recommend I do an SOA. I found a site called stoozing.com and did exactly that. I poured through the same heap of crap I have been pawing through every day since Xmas. Feeling hopeless. Then I saw a button called ‘snowball’ - again I didn’t know what this was but clicked on it. Just like that a new window popped up telling me which Debts to pay each month and that amazingly we can be totally debt free within 3 years.

I had to do it about 4 times before I believe it.

What became apparent is that we DO actually have enough income to repay our debts and also live at the same time. But we had just been attacking them all wrong and this had been living us extremely short on living expenses each month. (Which then naturally spiral you into more debt as you have to credit card things to get by)

We don’t need an IVA or to default, we don’t need to file for bankruptcy.... we just need to strictly follow the snowball plan.

Of course there’s going to be ups and downs throughout our journey but I am ecstatic at the idea of being debt free in just a few years. I suddenly feel like a boulder has been lifted off my shoulders and I can breathe again. More to the point I can enjoy life again.

July will be month one of our plan... so still a few weeks to get through before we start but I am determined to make it work.

I will be keeping my journey updated.

For anyone else who feels this way... dig deep for support and help because there IS always an answer.

Thank you

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,573 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Brilliant. Snowballing works as long as you stay on budget. Ideally you would balance transfer as much to 0% as possible too and build up some emergency savings to stop you putting any more on credit.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hi Kingtalk, that is fantastic that you will be able to sort it yourself.

Have you left enough money in your budget for luxuries?

If your budget is too tight, you are likely to !!!8216;rebel!!!8217; and spend on your credit cards again; cut them up.
  • dirtycredit
    dirtycredit Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    It's amazing how calm you feel once you have a plan and you can see a way out!

Good luck to you!

DC x
    LBM-November 2019 - Total Debt £28,000/now £1500 1 more payment left!!!
  • Kingtalk
    Kingtalk Posts: 27 Forumite
    So here!!!8217;s my first update. We are half way through month one of our snowball life. So many things have hit us unaware... we have had 3 family deaths in quick succession which has meant a lot of unexpected expenses on travel, accommodation, food, clothing for funerals, childcare etc etc. So whilst this month hasn!!!8217;t exactly gone to plan... I am really pleased to say that we are still manage to follow a plan of sorts and live within the means we allocated ourselves. We!!!8217;ve had to dip into !!!8216;car funds!!!8217; and !!!8216;holiday!!!8217; funds here and there and move things around, as of course or emergency fund had not built up enough yet. But the great news is... we have not touched a single credit card.

Still 2 weeks to go but feeling positive we can achieve it. And if we can do it this month we should be able to do it ANY month!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure