PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate agents mislead us

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Akahotpot wrote: »
    How ?
    by definition you are not chain free if you cannot pay for your next property until you sell your current one.

having enough cash to pay a deposit is not what was being asked and your comment was thus misleading. Surely you could see what was being asked even if it was your first time? Can you buy without having to sell your current house: yes or no? Simple question.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Akahotpot wrote: »
    How ?

I answered the questions asked honestly ,PB used the information to sell me to the vendor as chain free
    At the end of the day they are the market professionals not me,I only found out they had said I was chain free when the offer was accepted and I messaged the vendor direct
    They very reason I am on this board is to understand the process better because straight answers are hard to come by

Because you failed to mention that you may need to sell a property in order to go ahead with the purchase.

It is also unlikely that you would have had a mortgage offer, at the time of making an offer for a property via PB. You would probably have had an AIP/DIP, which is not the same thing as a mortgage offer.

In my view it is a stretch to describe those employed by PB as 'market professionals.' In fairness that goes for a lot of 'traditional' estate agents too!
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    We completed on our sale in August and whilst we were always honest with our EA in that we needed to sell our house to proceed with another purchase, they mistakenly advertised it as being a chain free house. I did point this out to them when the ad came out, but my email must have slipped through the net as it was never changed. I believe that our EA just made an honest mistake rather than deliberately trying to mislead buyers.

For any compensation you would have to prove loss - and you haven't lost anything - and probably also that they intended to mislead you. You have no proof of this.

Chain free doesn't guarantee a smooth and fast transaction. Our sellers were chain free so we were in a small chain of 3. You'd think it would move along very quickly but it took 6 months due to various delays.

Welcome to the world of house buying and selling - it's always a stressful process, as you've found out. Believe it or not, this transaction will be the smoothest one for you - wait until you have to sell and buy at the same time!
  • It now comes to light that our vendor, is in fact waiting for the sale of his partners property to go through, who we didn't even realise was in the chain??? Its utterly disgusting that this guy hasnt been forthcoming regards this info, which I had to squeeze out of the estate agents! So now we are not ready to exchange after all! Oh the irony!

I've been advised by my Sol to threaten to pull out, unless he finds alternative accommodation/move in with his OH, so that we can complete! I'm willing to make such a threat as I'm sick of wasting more money on rent! Plus he's mortgage FREE!!!

:mad:
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    tallsmithy wrote: »
    It now comes to light that our vendor, is in fact waiting for the sale of his partners property to go through, who we didn't even realise was in the chain??? Its utterly disgusting that this guy hasnt been forthcoming regards this info, which I had to squeeze out of the estate agents! So now we are not ready to exchange after all! Oh the irony!

I've been advised by my Sol to threaten to pull out, unless he finds alternative accommodation/move in with his OH, so that we can complete! I'm willing to make such a threat as I'm sick of wasting more money on rent! Plus he's mortgage FREE!!!

But you'd have to then pull out and carry on 'wasting' (not sure how a roof over your head is a waste of money, but hey ho) money on rent?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    been there, done that. Vendor threatened, vendor removed property from the market and i was back at square one looking for a new property

there is no easy solution to your situation, you can rant, you can wail, you can threaten, neither side is on a sure fire win as neither side knows what may be the reaction of the other. you have my sympathy.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

Making threats is unlikely to be the best way to resolve this, despite how frustrating it all gets.

There's no point threatening to pull out unless you're actually prepared to go through with it, and then you've put yourself in a position where you're back to square one, no property to buy, and still paying rent.

Selling/buying property seems to bring out the worst in some people, no idea why, it just does.
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    At least you still have a roof over your head OP

Be thankful for small mercies.
  • OP:

Was the Estate Agent acting for you?

Did you have a contract with the Estate Agent to provide you with a service in return for a fee?

If the answer is "yes" to both then you may have a case.

Hope this helps.
  • Sadly not, they are acting for the seller.

PurpleBricks couldnt care less about anyone in the chain as they get paid regardless of what happens. I do feel they could be doing more to update us, as my solicitor & I were completely in the dark until today, when I made a phonecall to PB to find out !!!!!! is going on?!! The fact that PB was chasing us a few days ago is a joke - we're not the ones holding it up!

i know this has effectively become a threat to vent my frustrations and no action by myself will probably help now, so I suppose I've just got to sit tight & hope!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure