Old Barclays Account

Options
Hi all,

I’m working through sorting out my credit file. The last piece of the puzzle is a Barclays account I had many moons ago. I’ve tried to ring Barclays to pay the amount and have it removed, but I no longer have the account number or sort code and obviously no card either and they claim they’re unable to help me and to speak with data exceptions whoever they’re? So my question is what do I do now?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Mrvalensi and welcome to MSE,

There are a few things to consider here. First of all, a debt will show on your credit file for 6 years from the date of default, so unfortunately, if it has defaulted, you won't be able to get the debt removed even if you pay it now. The status will change to satisfied once it is paid though.

It may be the case that Barclay's have sold the debt on to a third party, and that is who you now need to contact to make a payment/ deal with the debt. That should normally be detailed on your credit file, but you may need to check all 3 credit agencies to confirm who has control of the debt now. If you are still unsure then contact Barclays again to confirm who they sold it to.

Once you confirm this you can contact the debt collector, ask them to confirm the balance and then arrange payment. That is, assuming, this debt is not statute barred. You mention that it is an old account; if it is more than 6 years since the last payment or written acknowledgement then the debt may be statute barred and too old to be enforced in the county court.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • mrvalensi
    Options
    Thanks Laura,

It was defaulted in January 2013 and as i can see hasn't been passed to a 3rd party.

Thus leaving me the issue of no access to pay the amount as cannot remember my account number or sort code.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mrvalensi wrote: »
    Thanks Laura,

It was defaulted in January 2013 and as i can see hasn't been passed to a 3rd party.

Thus leaving me the issue of no access to pay the amount as cannot remember my account number or sort code.

If you are not been chased for this debt, and you have not moved since you had the account, you may as well leave things as they are for now, as paying the debt will not remove the default, and it will drop off your file naturally in Jan next year anyway, it will also become statute barred at the same time.

It may already of been sold on as banks do not always update credit files as often as you may think.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure