Options
2»

Comments

• nomadfreedom
    nomadfreedom Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great question!

I'm just starting on clearing £15k in debt that I built while in a soulless corporate job.

I've been living in Bali having a fantastic life on a frugal income, but have returned home for a few months and it's time to tackle this debt.

I've discovered that there is a BIG cost to living somewhere that doesn't make you happy.

If you really want to be in the ocean or on a mountain each day, then you'll sink THOUSANDS trying to capture a fragment of that experience. Just move there instead.

When you're happy with your daily life, you don't need so many of the indulgences you try to compensate yourself with when you're miserable.
  • Clouds88
    Clouds88 Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    I am ashamed that I got myself into debt, and had to resort to BR after a few years of trying to sort it out, spent money on gambling too which is now completely sorted and I am now on the road to being debt free. The most important thing I have Learnt is to live within my means and find happiness through free things.

I pack picnics for the kids when we go out for the day now instead of spending lots of money on take out food. I do most of my shopping in Aldi. I really appreciate my free time and focus my energy on my children and husband. We get out more than we used to, bike rides, trips to the beach in this lovely weather. H and M and Primark have replaced Next and Monsoon, (£2.99 dresses are AMAZING) and they still love their clothes.
  • Debtfreeforever
    Options
    I love this Snow White, this is brilliant to hear! Certainly makes things easier ;)
  • Debtfreeforever
    Options
    That is brilliant clouds88, what a great success story and humbling to hear where you have come from. Thank you for sharing
  • Debtfreeforever
    Options
    Wow nomadslife that is so inspiring to hear and so true, wow, that has certainly made me think, that I can achieve, what I really want.

So true if you are not happy and ultametly following your dreams, you are trying to press down the feeling with shopping, eating, drinking etc..
  • Debtfreeforever
    Options
    Thank you so much sharing working mum, your words totally resonate with me and I couldn’t agree more, I get so much out of talking, helping, caring for people that are in need.

I love the fact that you are teaching your kids the value of money, brilliant, I wish schools would do that and more parents....
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    Options
    Kids don't need a lot of money spent on them to be happy. We fell into the trap of entertainment in the form of bowling, trampoline parks, theme parks, shopping trips etc and then realized all that was doing was spending a load of money, petrol and sometimes getting quite stressed at queues and crowds etc! Now we do things such as getting a few cheap nibbles from aldi and watching a free film on tv, getting out the paddling pool, building a blanket fort, cooking together, walking in the country or colouring, bike riding or looking for fish in the stream. Our little one is just as happy doing those things. Kids don't understand money.
  • Debtfreeforever
    Options
    Thanks so much fireflyaway:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills