ppi papers

hi
can anyone help
I have decided to see if I have a PPI claim.
I have been in touch with my bank and they say that because my mortgage finished over 6 years ago they cannot find or dig out any paperwork to check because it has been archived.
I have given every detail possible but they say they cant find me.
although I have paid it for over 25 years ( son find it if I owed them)
they suggest I write to them but say even if they find my mortgage reference they still cant check because they have archived the files.
so once again ( as with my endowment ) the bank wins .
how do I get round this and get them to find my details and check if im owed.

thanks anyone

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If they don't have details, then you don't get round it, unless you have evidence of your own.

You could spend £10 on a SAR if you don't believe them.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Can you not dig out your paperwork? If you don't have a copy why would you expect them to?
  • thanks I may try that
  • I would expect a building society to hold paperwork for longer than 6 years as I do being self employed
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    how do I get round this and get them to find my details and check if im owed.

Assuming that you had MPPI, (and it would appear that you don't know) the bank isn't going to check whether you're 'owed'. It's down to you to complain that you were mis-sold this policy, and come up with some reasons why it was mis-sold.

Given that this happened over 31 years ago, what would be you the basis for your complaint?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I would expect a building society to hold paperwork for longer than 6 years as I do being self employed

They'd be risking breaching the DPA if they did so without a good reason.

So I would expect them not to.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would expect a building society to hold paperwork for longer than 6 years as I do being self employed

There is no requirement for you to keep them for more than 6 years
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hi
    can anyone help
    I have decided to see if I have a PPI claim.
    I have been in touch with my bank and they say that because my mortgage finished over 6 years ago they cannot find or dig out any paperwork to check because it has been archived.
    although I have paid it for over 25 years ( son find it if I owed them)
    they suggest I write to them but say even if they find my mortgage reference they still cant check because they have archived the files.
    so once again ( as with my endowment ) the bank wins .
    how do I get round this and get them to find my details and check if im owed
    thanks anyone

Try the following before you give up; send a SAR to the mortgage lender for a more in depth search, obtain bank statements from that time to show direct debits as proof of payment, and finally contact Land Registry and request a copy of the"Charge" document which will provide details of the mortgage and sometimes the reference number.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Why have you asked your bank? Were they the mortgage lender?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

Finding your mortgage paperwork is not really that useful with an MPPI complaint. Most MPPI is standalone monthly direct debit and not built into the mortgage. It is one of the reasons why most MPPI complaints fail. It doesnt appear on the mortgage documentation.
    Does that include giving them the name of the insurer and evidence of the direct debit you paid?

Data protection act means they have to destroy unnecessary data. Some data would have been destroyed around 6 years after the mortgage started. Then progressively after that date. 6 years after the end of the mortgage, there is no need for them to hold onto anything.

If you are are suggesting that you hold on to your data for more than 6 years then why you use your information to show them that you had a direct debit for MPPI. (this assumes you did)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure