PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

State of House at end of tenancy

Hi,

I wonder if anybody has any practical experience of this sort of question.

We moved into a house many years ago which would at best be described as in poor condition. Nothing structural etc but just old and tatty looking.

We agreed with the landlord that in exchange for a reduced rent, we would undertake to decorate the whole house as we wanted it. We agreed on painting, wallpapering some walls, replacing carpet etc.

As part of this we plastered several walls, repaired others, scraped paint off tiles and that kind of thing. Again nothing structural.

We will soon be moving out and I just wondered about what we should expect for check-out. Now in general, the LL has been pretty reasonable with us over the period. However an LA is involved and I fear the worst.

This is mainly because now (6 years later) our own remedial works are looking old and battered. The walls are marked in some places, etc.

So the check-in inventory listed the house "as-was" when we moved in including all the damaged walls.

The contract makes reference to a reduced rent in exchange for decorating; but does not make reference to check-out procedures.

So in short - what is fair and reasonable for us to hand the house back as?
The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No worse, except wear and tear, than you received it.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dispute any charges Landlord wishes to make. Was there a deposit, was it protected?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I wish G_M's guides were stickies....are you listening MSE?

All you need to do is leave the property in the same condition (or better) than it was at the start of your tenancy minus fair wear & tear. That's it.
  • Dispute any charges Landlord wishes to make. Was there a deposit, was it protected?

Yes deposit all protected and above board.
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
  • Pixie5740 wrote: »
    I wish G_M's guides were stickies....are you listening MSE?

All you need to do is leave the property in the same condition (or better) than it was at the start of your tenancy minus fair wear & tear. That's it.

Thanks Pixie, I do get the general rule.

But I mean for example, where we have papered the walls, do we have to remove the paper... same condition or better is very subjective and the arguments with my own partner over the wallpaper show that taste differs :D

I am just minded of stories like the property with the amazing garden that the tenants had grown, which led to the whole deposit being forfeited because the landlord wanted to get rid of the "improvements" etc.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Your landlord isn't entitled to betterment i.e. he doesn't get new for old. What residual value do you think that the decor at the start of your tenancy is worth 6 years on?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2017 at 3:32PM
    Did you get agreement to the redecoration in writing? If so, nothing to fear.

If it was all verbal, then it depends whether

a) the LL (or his agent) attempts to make deductions (eg for for changes made), and
    b) the LL agrees or disagrees with your memory of whatever discussion took place!

Pixie - I agree:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=67759912#post67759912

something to do with there already being stickies for tenancies, even though

a) they're hidden within a stickie called "House Buying: Important Threads"

and

b) they're cr*p!
  • Thanks GM.

Yes the tenancy agreement stipulates that we must do the works by a certain date. The landlord then inspected the house and confirmed he was happy.

Sounds like we have nothing to worry about then.

Thanks all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure