Credit Rating: How it works and How to improve it discussion area

Comments

• carolynw
    carolynw Posts: 20 Forumite
    Help please we are really worried. We are trying to move house, downsize but we still need a mortgage. Both my husband's and my clearscore score has gone down by 10 and 12 respectively but the report says no changes! We have been so careful with money this seems like a proverbial slap in the face. Can anyone shed any light and is there anything we can do about it. Our credit club score has improved! thanks
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    carolynw wrote: »
    Help please we are really worried. We are trying to move house, downsize but we still need a mortgage. Both my husband's and my clearscore score has gone down by 10 and 12 respectively but the report says no changes! We have been so careful with money this seems like a proverbial slap in the face. Can anyone shed any light and is there anything we can do about it. Our credit club score has improved! thanks

The score doesn't matter.
  • Hi all,

I've read the Credit score article online here. What I couldn't find out is, whether it is worth re-opening an old current account to help show I've had an account for a long time? I closed it last year after not much use but then saw the part where a long standing account can help your score.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    moogl3s wrote: »
    then saw the part where a long standing account can help your score.

D'oh!!! .
  • I had a dormant account within an agreed overdraft (balance sat at about £248, £250 was the agreed limit)

After a few months dormant the interest on the overdraft resulted in the balance going beyond the agreed limit of £250, but I did not notice this as it was not in use. This repeated for 4 months, by the 4th month I was only beyond the limit by a few quid but I now have '6 months of late payment' on my credit report which has crippled my credit score.

Do I have any course of action to help this? Is the bank partly at fault for allowing this to happen?

Furthermore, upon realising the situation I immediately paid into the account to bring the balance back up to zero and closed the account, this was 9 June 2015, the account first going over the credit limit on 26 February 2015.
  • [Deleted User]
    No. It's your fault.
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    If you were not using the account, why did you not pay off the OD?

It's your responsibility to check your own accounts.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Kikikickin
    Kikikickin Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2017 at 7:54AM
    Hi, Can anyone help? I've just joined Credit Club and even though my finances are in good shape, my score is 'poor.' The 2 problems are lack of 'account stability' and 'credit applications.'
    I've done a switch around of my banking recently so opened a couple of accounts and have changed to a cheaper phone provider.

I've looked on '37 Credit boosting tips' article but can't figure out how to improve my score now since it's due to several recent applications.
    I pay things on time and have a credit card which I pay off each month. I don't have too much credit.
    Can any one offer any insight/tips? Thanks in advance
  • [Deleted User]
    The trick is to understand the irrelevance of the score.
  • Kikikickin
    Kikikickin Posts: 22 Forumite
    Ok, I've had a look some more and I get that the score is irrelevant.

But where does that leave me regarding the fact that I've opened a few accounts recently, and none of my accounts are longstanding? Does that mean there's nothing I can do to make myself more attractive to lenders aside from what I'm doing already?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback