Claiming expenses through CMS

Options
Hi im new to CMS, to cut along story short my ex wife stop me from seeing my kids, untill i went through CMS, even though i paid her with out fail, it turns out they wanted another £20 more off me, my trouble is she was expecting more, she live other side of the country and refuses to meet me, so at weekend i do 460 miles to fetch my kids and take them back again each time i have them. I explain this, they said i could claim fuel expenses i now filled form in twice with all my fuel receipts it now been 2 months and nothing been done i ring every fortnight and ask what going on, as tbh im bloody struggling now with my sons birthday and xmas coming up, it seem most my wages go on feul and child maintance, as i try and have them 2 to 3 times a month, plus it seems to cause alot of wear and tare on my car desperately need tyres now, anyone else have any idea when i can get some expenses back towards fuel, one of the reason i agrued my case about maintance was distance and i have to do all driving otherwise i wouldnt get to see them. :(

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why don't you move?
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    sorted78 wrote: »
    Hi im new to CMS, to cut along story short my ex wife stop me from seeing my kids, untill i went through CMS, even though i paid her with out fail, it turns out they wanted another £20 more off me, my trouble is she was expecting more, she live other side of the country and refuses to meet me, so at weekend i do 460 miles to fetch my kids and take them back again each time i have them. I explain this, they said i could claim fuel expenses i now filled form in twice with all my fuel receipts it now been 2 months and nothing been done i ring every fortnight and ask what going on, as tbh im bloody struggling now with my sons birthday and xmas coming up, it seem most my wages go on feul and child maintance, as i try and have them 2 to 3 times a month, plus it seems to cause alot of wear and tare on my car desperately need tyres now, anyone else have any idea when i can get some expenses back towards fuel, one of the reason i agrued my case about maintance was distance and i have to do all driving otherwise i wouldnt get to see them. :(

Don't deal with them over the telephone anymore - do everything in writing - the CMS are absolutely terrible to deal with and you need to have proof of every single thing.

They have a complaints procedure that it is important to follow, otherwise your case cannot be looked at by the Independant Case Examiner. If you lok on the GOV website, the steps for making a complaint are set out very clearly.

Write to them at the address given on the GOV site and head the letter "formal complaint". Put in all the details about your case but stick to the facts. Do not include any emotional / fairness / what you think / what she thinks etc. just stick to the absolute facts.

I understand your frustration, it is very difficult when you are trying your best but getting no answers.

Also, please do try to ignore silly posts like this one here (above). CMS cases can be extremely complicated and they have no idea of the circumstances......they just want to start an argument or get their post count up, so don't give them the satisfaction :)
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    HMRC allow people to charge 45p/mile for the first 10,000 miles on business...
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-travel-mileage-and-fuel-allowances/travel-mileage-and-fuel-rates-and-allowances

Do CM allow a charge per mile?
  • sorted78
    Options
    I cant just move, i have a house, job family and friends here, i would have nothing there, part from being near my kids and my ex e to close for my liking, as we dont get on, i also found when i contact CMS some are on my side, others just seem blunt and quite rude, one said i probably wouldnt get any thing i then told her millage 460 milesa time, then she said are you spending over £10 on travelling, im like yeah about £60 everytime i fetch them!
  • jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you need to make sure they understand that you are applying for a "variation" for contact costs.
    they will then reassess your income by giving you an allowance against your income. they calculate this by working out your costs over the year so if for example you travelled say twice a month at £60 per trip this would work out at £30 pw. you do not get your payments reduced by this amount as they reduce your income by this amount and then recalculate your assessment. so if you were paying say 15% of your income as your assessment your payments would reduce by £4.50pw
    hope this helps
  • sorted78
    Options
    if this is correct, it work out basically what i was paying before i had to contact CSA, what aload of hassle, as now i struggle to affrod to see them
  • WYSPECIAL
    Options
    Why did you have to go through CMS to see your kids?

Maintenance and Contact are two completely separate issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure