Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Options

Comments

• uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I completed the online refund request at SSE yesterday and they had a question today via email about the readings I provided, which I answered straight away, and they have just confirmed the refund exactly as I requested will be paid within the 7 to 10 days. All in 24 hours. Still no response about any new rates though.

It's a shame they're not continuing with the current arrangement.

We have until 15th March to decide.
  • THX758
    THX758 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    I have received the letter today and right now I don't know what to do.
    I was happy with the sse-ebico arrangement because sse has a good record for customer service, and I was paying after my bill was issued on my account page without being penalised for not paying by direct debit.
    Robin Hood Energy only started in 2015, and you can't really find any reviews about their customer service, and it is run by a council, when I see how my council is squandering millions on idle projects while claiming they need to rise the council tax for services because they don't have enough money from the government, it makes me a bit nervous.
    What if RHE collapsed? What will happen to Ebico?
    And you are penalised again for not paying by direct debit, by receiving less of a reduction.
    On the other hand, I don't know which tariff I will be moved to if I stay with sse. Probably not the cheapest, so my bills might be rising by staying with SSE. Decision decision.........:undecided
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    I got my letter today, and in the FAQs it suggests wait until you've switched and got your final bill and then get the credit.

Which was pretty much what I'd decided, since the switch won't have gone through yet and I'll have used a few pence more gas/elec between now and then, so I'd rather just sweep it all up in one go once the line's been drawn.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The letter arrived in the post today. I will let the switch happen as I was planning on leaving Ebico and switching my gas to RHE, this way I'll only have to change tariff after the switch.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2017 at 7:55AM
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    I completed the online refund request at SSE yesterday and they had a question today via email about the readings I provided, which I answered straight away, and they have just confirmed the refund exactly as I requested will be paid within the 7 to 10 days. All in 24 hours. Still no response about any new rates though.

It's a shame they're not continuing with the current arrangement.

We have until 15th March to decide.

Thank you uk1. I too have decided to stay with Ebico as I am a low user. My most recent monthly direct debits have just been taken by SSE and I am in credit. I found the link to request a refund from SSE and I' ll be able to do this once I have my readings to submit at the time of the transfer, thank you.

I wonder if I'll have to complete two requests as gas and electricty are from two separate direct debits. I understand that Ebico/RHE take just one direct debit to cover both gas and electricity.

Crimson
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you uk1. I too have decided to stay with Ebico as I am a low user. My most recent monthly direct debits have just been taken by SSE and I am in credit. Would you be able to tell me where to find the on line link to, like you, request a refund, please?

Many thanks

Crimson

Fill out a refund form
    https://www.sse.co.uk/help/bills-and-paying/how-to-get-a-refund#item1
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks very much for the link Anthorn.

Crimson
  • whattochoose
    whattochoose Posts: 694 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    THX758 wrote: »
    I have received the letter today and right now I don't know what to do.
    I was happy with the sse-ebico arrangement because sse has a good record for customer service, and I was paying after my bill was issued on my account page without being penalised for not paying by direct debit.
    Robin Hood Energy only started in 2015, and you can't really find any reviews about their customer service, and it is run by a council, when I see how my council is squandering millions on idle projects while claiming they need to rise the council tax for services because they don't have enough money from the government, it makes me a bit nervous.
    What if RHE collapsed? What will happen to Ebico?
    And you are penalised again for not paying by direct debit, by receiving less of a reduction.
    On the other hand, I don't know which tariff I will be moved to if I stay with sse. Probably not the cheapest, so my bills might be rising by staying with SSE. Decision decision.........:undecided

I'm just going to go with the Ebico/RHE combo, and if I find I'm not happy with the new arrangement I'll simply switch to another supplier, since no penalties will be involved, and will use Cheaper Energy Club as my guide.
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've gone back through the emails I received from Ebico and to be honest I'm dissapointed with them. The note from Ebico said:

"Ebico has been partnering with SSE plc to supply electricity and gas to customers for many years. However, SSE can no longer assure us that the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff will remain in market for a reasonable period of time. We have, therefore, decided that it is in the best interests of our customers for Ebico to establish a new partnership."

I took this to mean that this was a positive customer protecting inititative from Ebico because SSE hadn't given reassurances for the future. It gave the impression that SSE were pulling the rug and Ebico were out "batting for us". "Good on Ebico" I thought. In the Utility week item linked earlier SSE stated:

"Big six energy company SSE has told not-for-profit supplier Ebico that its recent decision to launch a pre-pay tariff in collaboration with Robin Hood Energy represents a breach of their longstanding supply contract.

They go onto tell customers that for the moment they can expect continuity.

The big six supplier reassured that “SSE customers supplied under the Ebico brand will continue to be SSE customers for as long as they wish. They will continue receive their energy and the same high levels of customer service from SSE for the foreseeable future regardless of today’s announcement. Any suggestion otherwise is incorrect, misleading and should be ignored.”

To be honest, I haven't been told a lie exactly, but I also feel that by ommission I haven't been to ld the full truth. Ebico tried to make SSE look bad but it looks like it was Ebico that caused this rift. Ebico because of it's "mission" should have retained the higher integrity ground in explaining truthfully what had happened and I'm dissapointed. I'm an adult and I could have made my own mind up if told the whole story.

The concern I have about Ebico's behaviour is compounded because it then says:

"You do not need to do anything to transfer to Ebico Zero and receive this price reduction. Your transfer will be initiated in two weeks from the date of this letter. "

I know they then say .."You need to let us know by 15th March 2017 if you do not wish this transfer to Robin Hood Energy to go ahead. Once your details have been passed to Robin Hood Energy, they will write to you to give you a further two weeks' notice if you wish to change your mind. "

This means that there will be people that either do not receieve or receive but do not read the communication properly or at all that will have the supplier changed without them making a positive decision to move. I had to read it several times to make full sense of it. But if I hadn't received the first letter and having never heard of Robin Hood I'd think it were some sort of elaborate April fools joke and probably ignore the letter.

These combined issues ie being needlessly misled or fully and truthfully informed and automatic opt-in dissapoints me.

Jeff
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport