The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Options

Comments

• patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SVC what did you end up buying car-wise ?.

Well, managed to enjoy the sunshine yesterday, but I had spent the last 2.5 days at work painting the boss's office and part of a corridor. The office wasn't too bad as dhe has windows on two walls so had a nice breeze.
    The entrance corridor however has no windows in the section I was working in and there is no way I could have had the front doors propped open as some of the residents would have escaped.

Money-wise, nothing into the ef this week as all my mnthlies came out on the 1st, so my main account dropped belowed £1k.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    so very confused, I'm so happy for you that you are enjoying driving again now you have bitten the bullet and bought the car:T. Hopefully, I'll be in the same situation one of these days although (everything crossed) my car is going well at the moment:j.

Had to take OH for a hospital procedure yesterday morning (in my car)and he actually complimented me on the smooth journey. I don't think he meant my driving:o, he genuinely thought the car was running well:T. MOT booked in a few days so we'll see what happens there.
  • Muser1
    Muser1 Posts: 795 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou all! I can 100% say I would not have done this without this thread.
    Mortgage Jan 13 99260.00 87253 April 2017
    Emergency fund 700.00
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks very much too. I would probably have stopped at £500 before so I think this has been a great stretch challenge.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • myamyamoo
    myamyamoo Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I just wanted to say well done and congratulations on your achievements so far. I think you are all amazing and inspiring.
    I have been unofficially joining in and am exactly halfway there....never would have saved so much but it's a wonderful feeling knowing that I have a cushion behind me in case any Murphy's arrive.
    Anyway keep going....we can...we WILL do this!
  • so_very_confused
    Options
    Hi Patman I bought a toyota yaris, I've had one before and they are brilliant for reliability and going on forever.
    54 plate but one owner, fsh and only 61000 on it! They also gave me a good deal on the rust bucket which was worth very little, so i was delighted.

Hope the mot goes well carbooty. You will get there with the car, probably the same way I did...... No other choice:rotfl:

Cheers svc
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • Magsnoodle
    Magsnoodle Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all. Well despite great intentions and listening to Dave Ramsey like a demonic thing - much to OHs disgust - I have put a tiny bit more into the EF and have now reached over the £25 mark - 2.5% woo hoo!!! I have been paying down my debts though so shouldn't complain but I must admit every day when I listen to the lovely Dave I think about the what ifs? I've thrown so much into paying back things - mortgage next after this - that I keep thinking that if there was an emergency how would I fund it? Need to get the EF sorted by Christmas as a just in case. The 16 year old car on the drive is probably thinking it needs a rest soon.... possibly permanently although I do intend to drive it into the ground first....

Have a great week everyone and enjoy the sunshine

TTFN xxx
    E.F. #38 240.55/1000 SPC8 #375
    DFBXmas 2015 #162 18554 /18554 100%
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Welldone, Magsnoodle :T. Even though you don't think you've made much so far you've made a start after being committed to paying down debts. I try to pay debts off like a mad woman but since discovering this thread have come to realise that, like a lot of us, we're in dangerous territory when life throws something nasty at us and we have no available money to put things right. An EF is the only way to go IMO:)

I'd never heard of Dave Ramsey before:o until patman mentioned him as the inspiration for starting this thread, and now I keep seeing him mentioned all over the place. Have never actually heard him speaking though, I assume he does a radio show/slot on someone else's. Regularly too as you are listening to him a lot:rotfl:. Please can you tell me where I can find him?
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't updated for a while.

My emergency fund currently stands at £282.39 and it looks like I'll be able to increase it over the next few months by a nice little sum. Work is guaranteed until the end of October at the moment, so will be nice to have a little bit put to one side in case it gets all quiet!
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After saying that last night, some money I was waiting for has come in over night, which means I now have £482.39 in my Emergency fund. I'm just waiting for my tax rebate to come through now (fingers crossed!!) so that I can add more again!
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business