Best investment trust stocks and shares ISA?

I want to move my cash ISA into equities. There's about £80k, and I can add another £20k to that.

I have no fixed ideas about what to invest in, nor any particular timescale the money needs to be invested for. I don't rate myself as a stock picker.

The default option is to find the lowest cost platform that will allow me to split the money between say 3 investment trusts, but I am interested in any alternative suggestions.

I'm aware of the Barclays Investment ISA, which charges 0.1% annual admin fee on investment trusts. On £80k, that comes to £80 pa. Am I likely to get a better deal than that? I'm always wary of Barclays, as I've never associated them with low charges.

Any suggestions for choosing investment trusts?
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 April 2018 at 1:58PM
    Firstly that's a big change in risk profile - would you be more comfortable with a mixed asset fund of stocks and bonds such as a Vanguard LifeStrategy or HSBC Global Strategy fund? ITs can be more volatile than stocks so you could be seeing paper losses of circa 50% during a typical market cycle.

Anyway to answer your question:

Jarvis X-O ISA has no ongoing charges on £5.95 per trade then £50+vat closure fee at end.
    http://www.x-o.co.uk/our_charges.htm

iWeb (owned by Halifax) ISA is £25 setup then £5 per trade.
    http://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/products/self-select-stocks-and-shares-isa.asp

You would need to decide upon a strategy to reinvest dividends to keep trade costs low and possibly rebalance at the same time. Perhaps one transaction every 3 months?

I would personally choose Monks, Bankers and Witan but you need to do your own research.

Alex
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I've seen lots of complaints about the Barclays ISA - rotten software overhaul, apparently. It's claimed that lots of customers have fled to Hargreaves Lansdown. Has anyone got any up to date info?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport