How can I stop living pay to pay cheque?

124»

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    pearl123 wrote: »
    Can you explain what is Tithe? I suggest you do your own nails and use a training school to get your hair cut.
    Re therapy if it’s something that is professional and crucial for your mental health then of course continue. If it is some new age Mumbo jumbo knock it on a head too.
    Adittionally, your food costs are rather high for one person.

Really? £130 p/m is high for one person? Buying a reasonable amount of fresh fruit and vegetables with good protein is not going to come at bargain basement prices. I would suggest that £130 p/m is actually quite a modest amount for someone trying to eat a sensible and healthy diet.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Really? £130 p/m is high for one person? Buying a reasonable amount of fresh fruit and vegetables with good protein is not going to come at bargain basement prices. I would suggest that £130 p/m is actually quite a modest amount for someone trying to eat a sensible and healthy diet.

I agree £30 per week sounds very reasonable especially if this includes toothpaste, cleaning products, etc which I have not seen itemised anywhere else.
  • theinbetweener007
    theinbetweener007 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2018 at 9:19AM
    Do some volunteer work once a month which is a far more moral and productive contribution to society. You will sleep just fine knowing that.

You!!!8217;re doing great paying off your debt, keep going. As soon as it!!!8217;s finished, open up a savings account so you can continue the discipline. Perhaps start at £500 a month? With that extra cash plus no tithe you will get closer to the life you deserve. Enjoy life, it goes so quick.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 March 2018 at 12:03AM
    ValiantSon wrote: »

I!!!8217;m paying £30 more per month for 3 people to eat, so yes I do think it is expensive. All fresh food and no convince foods. It includes salmon, organic chicken, seads, nuts, tons of fresh veg etc. Including cleaning products.

I would suggest Op has a look into making home cooked foods and weekend prepping.
    It also helps to buy regular foods/ goods of course when they are on offer.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Hey, sorry if my message came off like this. But I don’t think you’ll understand the hair aspect unless you’re a woc. I will definitely be doing my own hair for the time being but I have very long hair (waist length) so it’s a bit of a challenge. So I get it braided up etc. I won’t cut my hair either!

Please don’t be too negative. It’s all love!
    How about getting a set of clippers? £20will get a decent set from Amazon, and you will no longer need to lay anyone to look after it for you.

I’m afraid that at the moment your posts come across like someone complaining that their benefits will not stretch to waxing their classic Ferrari every week.

You are on a very low wage, yet want to live like someone worth more. You cannot.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    John-K wrote: »
    You are on a very low wage
    How do you figure that out? OP says they're netting £2583.94 a month, which, allowing for pension contributions, bowlhead99 equates to a £45-50K salary, which sounds right to me too. Against what criteria do you classify this as 'very low' when it's substantially higher than the London average, never mind the national one....
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    pearl123 wrote: »
    I`m paying £30 more per month for 3 people to eat, so yes I do think it is expensive. All fresh food and no convince foods. It includes salmon, organic chicken, seads, nuts, tons of fresh veg etc. Including cleaning products.

I would suggest Op has a look into making home cooked foods and weekend prepping.
    This is all very well, but is one of your 'three people to eat', perhaps someone who doesn't have to get up and leave work at 7am and get back at 8pm?

It's certainly possible to go out and source raw ingredients at market prices and cook healthily from scratch when you have an inordinate amount of leisure time. However someone sacrificing their leisure time to work a £45-50k job in their early 20s in London may struggle to carve out as much time for food prep and slow cooking of cheap cuts. It's monumentally cheaper per person if you are cooking for two or three than if you're cooking for one; more economic quantities and more hours between you to devote to prep.

Not everyone seems to get this, and simply assume that if they can get by on a low food budget, anyone spending £130pm (£30pw including breakfast, lunch, dinner and special occasions like Christmas and birthdays) must be a special snowflake-generation character doing all their shopping at Waitrose who could easily halve their food budget by employing a bit of good-old common sense. That's not always the case.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm really perplexed by the comments.

Stating a monthly income of nearly 2,600 net is "not much" is bizarre. That is very good income at 24, even for "London" and that rent (presumably in very outer zone based on oyster) is decent, especially if not a crowded house share.

The answer is very obvious. The debt repayment is influencing the situation. Once paid off in 3-4 months you will have an extra grand a month. That's huge. If the current situation is too much on the limit just lower the repayment by a few hundred quid. Even if halved it would still be over in under a year.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 March 2018 at 7:27AM
    hoc wrote: »
    The answer is very obvious. The debt repayment is influencing the situation. Once paid off in 3-4 months you will have an extra grand a month.

We know that, it was already covered in my post #2. Once the debt is repaid, and the OP has built up an emergency cash fund the next step for most people in this position would be to start saving for a property using something like a Lifetime ISA to avoid the waste of rent. A grand a month sound a lots but buying property while investing for retirement is very expensive so money still needs managing carefully.

If the OP wants to be a FTBer homeowner and would be buying at £450k or under there is an argument for rolling the debt onto a new CC and trying to earn as much of the Lifetime ISA bonus as possible before this tax year ends.

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport