How can I stop living pay to pay cheque?

Options

Comments

• Robster88
    Robster88 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd immediately stop the tithe. If you wan't to give back once you are able to afford to then that's laudable, but I don't think it is sensible to give away 10% of your income when you're in debt.

£66 a month on nails sounds excessive. You say it is a guilty pleasure, but I think you need to consider where your priorities lie. If you are really keen on cutting your debt more quickly, getting your nails done less frequently would be an achievable way to help with that.

Do you not have to pay council tax, or is that included in rent?
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    (For Pearl123 - I believe Tithing is a 10% donation some people choose to make on religious grounds) [edit - crossposted several times!]

Ambitiouspanda - I think the first issue is that you don't seem to have any emergency savings. Clearing debt ASAP is a noble goal but what if between now and June (when your finances have recovered) you need emergency dental treatment, or you sit on your glasses, or the fridge breaks? Your £100 disposable income may not cut it, and even if it did that would leave you incredibly stretched.

The £3700 CC debt that you're about to start paying interest on is important, but you may be able to kick that problem down the road a little. YorkshireBoy already mentioned a balance transfer to another card with a 0% period which would take the pressure off you for a few more months. Whether you can find a provider willing to take on that amount of debt is another question; if you're not able to transfer all your CC debt this way you might consider a personal loan to restructure the remaining debt. A loan isn't an ideal solution either but if you can repay your debt at a rate of 10% or less (fairly average for a bank loan) as opposed to the 20-30% you're probably paying on your cards, that's the lesser of two evils. It may also bring down your monthly repayment figure, leaving you with a bit more cash in your pocket. You can generally make early repayment to clear the debt when you're able, but be aware there may be an early settlement fee - read the Ts&Cs carefully, do the maths and see whether it would help you.

I'm a Londoner too and that Oyster figure seems very high. Most people I know who buy a monthly pass, even in Zone 1, don't tend to spend more than £80 a month. Are you sure you couldn't reduce that expense?

I perceive most of the other expenses as either essential (rent, bills) or non-negotiable lifestyle choices (hair, tithing) so there's maybe not too much fat to trim there. You could probably get your food bill down to £100 or less if you completely cut out buying sandwiches, coffees etc and make a commitment to bulk-cook on a budget at home. Plenty of online resources will tell you how to do this!

In summary, what really rings alarm bells in my head is that amount of Credit Card debt and the rate you're paying it off, I think it's putting you in a position where you'll be very vulnerable to even quite minor emergencies (and come April when the interest kicks in the expense will be even greater). So, please do consider ways to extend the 0% period or restructure the debt in a way that is more affordable.

In the longer term - once you've 1) built an emergency fund of at least £1000 and 2) cleared your debts - I think you should follow the principle of paying yourself first. Because you do tithing this is actually a habit you already follow! In addition to earmarking 10% of your income for charity, why not allocate 10% (or more) for your own savings. Unsuccessful savers tend to spend the money they earn, and then save what's left, which is often very little or nothing. A better way is to save first (set up a standing order the day you get paid so it's automatic and prioritised) and then spend what's left.

Beyond that it really comes down to what your personal goals and circumstances are. If you can afford to invest in stocks (cheap funds, through an ISA) or contribute to a workplace pension those are normally good ideas. Planning on buying a house? Look into Help To Buy or Lifetime ISAs. Do you have large purchases planned, or a holiday coming up? Consider the "piggybanking" method where you set up a separate savings account for each goal and dripfeed in each month as part of your main savings. Keep your goals concrete and trackable rather than vague aspirations - so, not "I want to go on holiday in the next couple of years" but "By January 2020 I will have saved £2000 to go to Australia. I will achieve this by saving £100 a month". "A goal without a plan is just a wish", that's my motto!
    : )
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    or the fridge breaks?
    I read that as "fringe".
  • TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 March 2018 at 5:47PM
    Options
    I remember learning about tithes in school. I had not realised the practise continued beyond the medieval age, so have spent an illuminating 20 minutes reading about it. My first thought was you could tithe time but apparently that insinuates the other 90% of time is ungodly. Whereas if you tithe no time, you can be safe that 100% is godly. Religious logic, awesome.

Apparently, according to tithe-friendly websites, the 10% is due before income tax, but you seem to be paying 10% after income tax. Maybe you need to up your tithe to what appears to be expected? Are you paying enough tithe? In another thread you say you earn £45k, so I figure you need to be contributing £375 not £259 per month in tithe. If you don't believe in that doctrine of pre-tax tithe, perhaps you can forgo some of the cash based contribution and contribution time instead.

This may sound like a harsh naive forum member, but it is a simple summary of what I just read about on the subject. I do have personal views on the subject but as this is a financial forum I will stick to those aspects.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I know the hair and nails seems excessive but it actually isn’t. I have long thick curly hair that requires professional assistance. In regards to my nails it is my guilty pleasure and helps for work.

My employer doesn’t match any contributions made but offers 7.5%. I won’t make any contributions until my cc bills are paid... then I am going to really do it! That aside, do you have any other comments on how I can save more etc?
    So, in essence, you will not give up the expensive luxuries. What, exactly, are hoping to hear instead?

To put it simply, you do not earn very much, and you are choosing to spend it on fripperies, so you do not have any money left over. No advice in the world will change this.

That being the case, maybe up-skill to be able to earn more?
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    TheTracker wrote: »
    I remember learning about tithes in school. I had not realised the practise continued beyond the medieval age, so have spent an illuminating 20 minutes reading about it. My first thought was you could tithe time but apparently that insinuates the other 90% of time is ungodly.
    It really is a racket. A very rich organisation tells people that they are immoral if they do not hand over all of their spare cash, and insinuates torture at a later date.

And people still fall for it.

Here’s a pr!cis of the deal...

http://jhuger.com/kissing-hanks-!!!
  • rathernot
    rathernot Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I am 24 and I want to stop living pay to pay cheque.

I always pay my expenses which currently are as follows:

Income: £2583.94

Debt: £3699 - credit card bills. The 0% interest is coming off in April 2018.

Expenses (I live in London):
    Rent: £757.33
    Bills: £88
    Oyster: £153.60
    Therapy: £50
    Phone bill: £13
    Nails: £66
    Hair: £70
    Food: £130
    Tithe: £258.79
    Credit card repayment: £921.87 (my chosen amount)

Left over to cover me until next pay is £94-100 (4 weeks)

I pay so much for my credit card bill to rid myself of the debt. Especially because the 0% interest is coming to an end in April. The debt was much higher before and I’ve managed to pay it down. I got it to help myself out in a difficult period and assist a family member. My goal is to clear my cc bills by May. I know it seems like a no brainier but even when I didn’t have debt I found that I still lived pay to pay. It is so embarrassing! At the moment I have £20 in my account to carry me to my next pay day (which is in 5 days)...

Any advice would be useful!
    Left over:

This isn't going to sound helpful but frankly you don't need to be asking this on a savings forum you just need to use some common sense about things.
    • Walk
    • Don't get your nails done as often
    • Don't get your hair done as often
    • Eat less or buy cheaper food
    • Don't pay tithe
    • Pay more or less on the credit card so be out of debit quicker or in debt longer and have some money left each month sooner or later

There's nothing revolutionary about any of that and if you're going to say "But I have really awkward hair and I have to pay tithe" it perhaps shows where you priorities really are.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TheTracker wrote: »
    Apparently the 10% is due before income tax, but you seem to be paying 10% after income tax. Maybe you need to up your tithe to what appears to be expected? Are you paying enough tithe?

But there is a question of if 10% is still a relevant contribution level given some services the church used to provide have moved across to government so are covered from taxation and national insurance.
  • ambitiouspanda
    Options
    (For Pearl123 - I believe Tithing is a 10% donation some people choose to make on religious grounds) [edit - crossposted several times!]

Ambitiouspanda - I think the first issue is that you don't seem to have any emergency savings. Clearing debt ASAP is a noble goal but what if between now and June (when your finances have recovered) you need emergency dental treatment, or you sit on your glasses, or the fridge breaks? Your £100 disposable income may not cut it, and even if it did that would leave you incredibly stretched.

The £3700 CC debt that you're about to start paying interest on is important, but you may be able to kick that problem down the road a little. YorkshireBoy already mentioned a balance transfer to another card with a 0% period which would take the pressure off you for a few more months. Whether you can find a provider willing to take on that amount of debt is another question; if you're not able to transfer all your CC debt this way you might consider a personal loan to restructure the remaining debt. A loan isn't an ideal solution either but if you can repay your debt at a rate of 10% or less (fairly average for a bank loan) as opposed to the 20-30% you're probably paying on your cards, that's the lesser of two evils. It may also bring down your monthly repayment figure, leaving you with a bit more cash in your pocket. You can generally make early repayment to clear the debt when you're able, but be aware there may be an early settlement fee - read the Ts&Cs carefully, do the maths and see whether it would help you.

I'm a Londoner too and that Oyster figure seems very high. Most people I know who buy a monthly pass, even in Zone 1, don't tend to spend more than £80 a month. Are you sure you couldn't reduce that expense?

I perceive most of the other expenses as either essential (rent, bills) or non-negotiable lifestyle choices (hair, tithing) so there's maybe not too much fat to trim there. You could probably get your food bill down to £100 or less if you completely cut out buying sandwiches, coffees etc and make a commitment to bulk-cook on a budget at home. Plenty of online resources will tell you how to do this!

In summary, what really rings alarm bells in my head is that amount of Credit Card debt and the rate you're paying it off, I think it's putting you in a position where you'll be very vulnerable to even quite minor emergencies (and come April when the interest kicks in the expense will be even greater). So, please do consider ways to extend the 0% period or restructure the debt in a way that is more affordable.

In the longer term - once you've 1) built an emergency fund of at least £1000 and 2) cleared your debts - I think you should follow the principle of paying yourself first. Because you do tithing this is actually a habit you already follow! In addition to earmarking 10% of your income for charity, why not allocate 10% (or more) for your own savings. Unsuccessful savers tend to spend the money they earn, and then save what's left, which is often very little or nothing. A better way is to save first (set up a standing order the day you get paid so it's automatic and prioritised) and then spend what's left.

Beyond that it really comes down to what your personal goals and circumstances are. If you can afford to invest in stocks (cheap funds, through an ISA) or contribute to a workplace pension those are normally good ideas. Planning on buying a house? Look into Help To Buy or Lifetime ISAs. Do you have large purchases planned, or a holiday coming up? Consider the "piggybanking" method where you set up a separate savings account for each goal and dripfeed in each month as part of your main savings. Keep your goals concrete and trackable rather than vague aspirations - so, not "I want to go on holiday in the next couple of years" but "By January 2020 I will have saved £2000 to go to Australia. I will achieve this by saving £100 a month". "A goal without a plan is just a wish", that's my motto!

Hello, thank you so much for such a detailed response. I will take much of this on board and apply it.

My Oyster card is expensive because I live in zone 1, my work isn’t in zone 2 and my family are in zone 3. So I buy a monthly pass for zones 1-3.

If I save my tithe money. I’ll have £300+ left over. I can save £200 and by the time I pay off my cc bills I’ll have £600 saved. Then I can begin aggressive savings etc.

I agree. My food can go down to £100. I just chucked an extra £5 to over can extra expenses etc...

I am going to call Barclays (my cc card) and see if they can extend my cc promotional period by 1-2 months. That should swerve any unexpected costs when repaying the loan.

Thank you for your input. I’ll be in touch again.
    **2018 G O A L S**
    [STRIKE]1) Pay off overdraft[/STRIKE]
    2) Pay off credit card by November 2018
    3) Begin 2019 debt free and be debt free for the rest of my life!
  • ambitiouspanda
    Options
    John-K wrote: »
    So, in essence, you will not give up the expensive luxuries. What, exactly, are hoping to hear instead?

To put it simply, you do not earn very much, and you are choosing to spend it on fripperies, so you do not have any money left over. No advice in the world will change this.

That being the case, maybe up-skill to be able to earn more?

Hey, sorry if my message came off like this. But I don’t think you’ll understand the hair aspect unless you’re a woc. I will definitely be doing my own hair for the time being but I have very long hair (waist length) so it’s a bit of a challenge. So I get it braided up etc. I won’t cut my hair either!

Please don’t be too negative. It’s all love!
    **2018 G O A L S**
    [STRIKE]1) Pay off overdraft[/STRIKE]
    2) Pay off credit card by November 2018
    3) Begin 2019 debt free and be debt free for the rest of my life!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure