AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Only autoaid or MSE can answer your question, though generally offers like this are for new customers

But why not wait till your policy expires then buy a 15 month policy as a new customer?
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    kuepper wrote: »
    does the MSE 15 month for 12 offer apply to existing policy holders? I clicked on renew after following the MSE link but it wouldn't let me contimue online. If you try to apply normally it asks for the date you want the cover to start but there's a note to it that says the policy will start a soon as payment is received???
    If yours expires before 31/03/18 then just wait until the expiry date then sign up again as a new customer using the 15 months link.

Mine expires in January so I am going to wait until then to sign up using the MSE offer.
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    If yours expires before 31/03/18 then just wait until the expiry date then sign up again as a new customer using the 15 months link.

Mine expires in January so I am going to wait until then to sign up using the MSE offer.

Just be mindful cover doesn't start til midnight the day after you've paid.
  • Jim_Bob_Joe
    Options
    I have never had breakdown cover, but my partner and i have both bought second hand cars in the past 3 months so thought we would give it a go with the 15 months for 12 months offer posted.

Went through the signup process, during which it did say that as we are not married we need to provide proof of living together after completion.

Once everything was done I took a photograph of my partners driving license and e-mailed it over. This morning i got a reply saying that this could not be used and that it had to be something with both our names on.

Well i purchased my house years before we got together (9 years ago) and all bills are in my name, the only items we have where we are both on something is our Aviva multicar policy and house insurance, I sent over the car insurance documents but apparently that is not good enough and she needs to buy her own policy!!!

What a joke, have requested for it to be cancelled completely as they were unable to provide the service i purchased, I am just waiting for their reply which i can predict they will try and take a £15 administration charge!!!
  • FestiveJoy
    Options
    I have never had breakdown cover, but my partner and i have both bought second hand cars in the past 3 months so thought we would give it a go with the 15 months for 12 months offer posted.

Went through the signup process, during which it did say that as we are not married we need to provide proof of living together after completion.

Once everything was done I took a photograph of my partners driving license and e-mailed it over. This morning i got a reply saying that this could not be used and that it had to be something with both our names on.

Well i purchased my house years before we got together (9 years ago) and all bills are in my name, the only items we have where we are both on something is our Aviva multicar policy and house insurance, I sent over the car insurance documents but apparently that is not good enough and she needs to buy her own policy!!!

What a joke, have requested for it to be cancelled completely as they were unable to provide the service i purchased, I am just waiting for their reply which i can predict they will try and take a £15 administration charge!!!

What service did you think you were purchasing???
    1. Does my breakdown insurance with
    AutoAid cover my spouse/partner/civil partner?

AutoAid Breakdown covers you and your legal spouse or civil partner with total breakdown cover, which includes, roadside assistance, a vehicle recovery service to one place of your choice, home breakdowns, emergency travel or overnight hotel accommodation and an attached caravan or small trailer.

However, if you are not legally married or in a civil partnership, we are unable to cover a common-law partner under the same policy. If your partner would like to become an AutoAid Breakdown member, a separate breakdown policy would be needed.

• Jim_Bob_Joe
    Options
    FestiveJoy wrote: »
    What service did you think you were purchasing???

I did see this so i went to check, when signing up it asks for "Spouse/civil partner/common law partner", when your surnames do not match it then prompts a box stating:

Spouse/civil partner/common law partner
    Please note that if your spouse/civil partner does not have the same last name as you, we need to see a copy of your marriage/civil partnership certificate before adding him/her to the policy. If you are in a Common Law Partnership you will need to provide proof of address or bank statement etc. confirming both names. An individual policy will be issued at this time, should you decide to continue with the application form. We will add your spouse/civil partner and issue a new set of documents as soon as we receive the copy of the certificate, which you can send via:

So i sent them a copy of her driving license, which was rejected as it did not have both our names on it. So i sent our car policy as that is a joint policy.

It looks like the FAQ's has not been updated to reflect they accept common law.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    What is "common law"? Doubt it has any legal meaning to help you!
  • Isiwizzi
    Options
    Have been with Autoaid for about 5 years and progressively their service has become worse. Our accelerator cable broke and we phoned Autoaid to organise a callout advising them of the car's make, model and year of manufacture so the garage could bring a new cable with them to repair. They actually passed the Land Rover garage enroute to coming to see to our car. They turned up without any parts and just towed us to our local garage. I wrote complaining to the company and received no response. Will not renew.
  • alanmarsh2000
    Options
    I have been using my Apple Mac laptop and can't seem to get connected to use this offer. I get redirected to AutoAid webpage but when I click on the buy now button, the page says it cant be found and isnt on the interent. Ive called Autoaid but this offer can only be taken using the links given by MSE. Please advise people as I want to make sure my Mums car is covered this winter time. Many thanks Al
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I just tried the link on my macbook using Firefox and it works. Clicking Buy Now takes me to the form to fill in your details.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback