Buildings Insurance claim refused - Help

Options

Comments

• Mungo76
    Mungo76 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    As already mentioned, complain.

You have a report carried out at the time of loss stating the pump has leaked, they have a report after the bath had been fitted suggesting without sight of the bath or the leak that it was a sealant issue.

What the insurers are trying to piece together is the fact the nozzle water has sprayed back onto the wall, causing a run down effect. it can look like a seal issue, especially if the water sprays up, hits the seal (which is doing its job, but the wrong way around stopping water coming up and out rather than through and down) and running down, to the sub floor joists.

Have the insurers seen the reports, have they asked to inspect the bath? you have proved an insured peril has occurred and on a good basis, they need to disprove rather than rely on a balance of probabilities that it occurred another way if there is hard evidence.
  • linaraman
    Options
    Thank you Mungo. I am on the same page as you, because insurance company based their decision or probability and assumption only, and as you said, I have hard proof. However, I have decided to appoint independent loss assessor, the company was highly recommended to me who work on no win no fee basis. They are professionals and they know what they are doing. They also know very well the surveyor that was sent by my incurance company to inspect the leak and they running number of cases to prove them wrong. They will also calculate the repair costs, which I'm sure will be much higher then what the insurance company would have approved in the first place as well as submitting non- financial claim on my behalf as due to their unreasonable decision to decline my claim we've been left with no washing facility for 5 weeks now and this will go beyond Christmas. I just hope I have made the right decision.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    'No win no fee' will refer to them getting a % of the cost of the claim - you will probably still have to pay some kind of cost for their work even if the claim is rejected.
  • linaraman
    Options
    Signed the paperwork and it says there is nothing to pay if they don't win. I assume they wouldn't be taking the job on knowing there is a slim chance of winning. It's a no brainer for me as at the moment my claim is rejected and because of that I am already in trouble should I want to change the insurance company, as to the mandatory question if I ever had an insurance claim declined I will have to answer yes, which will probably double my premiums. So, by all means, I have to win this now and loss assessors I have employed are the only people can help me.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Never seen this "mandatory question"

Think you are mistaken,!!
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Never seen this "mandatory question"

Think you are mistaken,!!

Think he/she is getting confused with the question, "have you ever been refused insurance"
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    linaraman wrote: »
    Signed the paperwork and it says there is nothing to pay if they don't win. I assume they wouldn't be taking the job on knowing there is a slim chance of winning. It's a no brainer for me as at the moment my claim is rejected and because of that I am already in trouble should I want to change the insurance company, as to the mandatory question if I ever had an insurance claim declined I will have to answer yes, which will probably double my premiums. So, by all means, I have to win this now and loss assessors I have employed are the only people can help me.

What happens if your complaint is now successful? Do you have to pay the loss assessor their fee?
  • linaraman
    Options
    Well yes, if the complaint is successful I will have to pay them a fee, but I was explained, that they ensure I will be paid the fair amount of money to cover repairs, as on many occasions people don't get paid enough and end up fighting over the repayment amount with insurance company. They will also be submitting a non-financial claim to the insurance company on my behalf, as they have refused my claim unreasonably, which resulted a family of 5 living with no washing facility for over 5 weeks and by the looks it will go beyond Christmas now. I think this is very unfair..
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    linaraman wrote: »
    Well yes, if the complaint is successful I will have to pay them a fee, but I was explained, that they ensure I will be paid the fair amount of money to cover repairs, as on many occasions people don't get paid enough and end up fighting over the repayment amount with insurance company. They will also be submitting a non-financial claim to the insurance company on my behalf, as they have refused my claim unreasonably, which resulted a family of 5 living with no washing facility for over 5 weeks and by the looks it will go beyond Christmas now. I think this is very unfair..

Best of luck to you. This will not work.

What exactly is a "non-financial claim" - are you after a letter of apology?
  • linaraman
    linaraman Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 18 December 2017 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Blibble wrote: »
    Best of luck to you. This will not work.

What exactly is a "non-financial claim" - are you after a letter of apology?

Non-financial claim is for inconvenience and stress caused!! Not sure if people can picture themselves living with no where to wash. I have tiny sink and that is it.. Me and my two teenage daughters travelling to my sister's at least twice a week who lives 40 min drive away from me so that we can use a bath. My son and husband had to take gym memberships, so that they can have a shower. Crazy!! And all of this nightmare before Christmas...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure