Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Hi HHD

Sorry I haven't been about. I had managed to find a chest infection last week.

Well, the first leg of his journey is complete which means he is one step closer to being back.

It's easy to say, don't worry, but harder to do.

This last month has been really tough on you after the initial euphoria of becoming debt free. And quite a few are things you have little control over. As long as the two of you continue to deal with things together, it will get better. I think we can all get a bit melancholy before Christmas and I imagine work gets less for you being self employed.

Enjoy the rest of the week, try not to worry too much
    Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Thank you Pauline :). I hope your infection clears up.

The last month has been very stressful, but as long as DS2 gets home safely then I will be over the moon.

Work does tend to drop off at this time of year, but we try to focus on marketing to bring work in for the new year.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm coming late to the party but wanted to wish DS well! And you too of course - I still remember the trauma of letting DD go to the States at the age of 16! She had never flown before and was met by friends of friends... I did wonder if I was stupid and irresponsible etc, but it really was the making of her.

Maybe I shouldn't add that she then got the travel 'bug' and it was the first trip of many to various parts of the world. :D

Advantages of going to the US: they speak English. Their currency isn't that different. We have some exposure to their culture through TV & films. Being English is supposed give one some sort of status. :D

The trip will be over in next to no time!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • *arrow pointing up*

Wot Cherryfudge said! Excellent points!
  • Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Glad DS got to his first stop safely. What time is his flight today?

My plan was two EFs as well. One that was three months worth of expenses (at the time, so wouldn't cover that much now, at some point I will readjust) and one that was a lot smaller (about £800) to cover direct debit discrepancies/unexpected bills/smaller emergencies than losing our main income. I basically didn't ever want to touch the big one, so I had planned to lock it away when things had settled, but unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way now. The second EF has all gone and the big one has had a couple of things taken from it that should've come from the smaller one, if it had survived! It's still my plan though, so hopefully we'll get there at some point.
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • I'm coming late to the party but wanted to wish DS well! And you too of course - I still remember the trauma of letting DD go to the States at the age of 16! She had never flown before and was met by friends of friends... I did wonder if I was stupid and irresponsible etc, but it really was the making of her.

Maybe I shouldn't add that she then got the travel 'bug' and it was the first trip of many to various parts of the world. :D

Advantages of going to the US: they speak English. Their currency isn't that different. We have some exposure to their culture through TV & films. Being English is supposed give one some sort of status. :D

The trip will be over in next to no time!

Thanks Cherry, reassuring points :)
    *arrow pointing up*

Wot Cherryfudge said! Excellent points!
    Thanks DrSpend :)
    Pauper1 wrote: »
    Glad DS got to his first stop safely. What time is his flight today?

My plan was two EFs as well. One that was three months worth of expenses (at the time, so wouldn't cover that much now, at some point I will readjust) and one that was a lot smaller (about £800) to cover direct debit discrepancies/unexpected bills/smaller emergencies than losing our main income. I basically didn't ever want to touch the big one, so I had planned to lock it away when things had settled, but unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way now. The second EF has all gone and the big one has had a couple of things taken from it that should've come from the smaller one, if it had survived! It's still my plan though, so hopefully we'll get there at some point.

He's on the plane now Pauper and soon to arrive in Dublin on his first stopover :eek:. He's been good about texting us to let us know where he is and seems to be coping really well so far :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm so glad it's going well. At least the change will be in an English speaking country, does he have any more stops before America?
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • No but he has a stop over at New Jersey. He seems to be coping very well for someone who has never travelled alone before. He won't arrive in New Orleans until early Thursday morning.

Hopefully you will be able to build your emergency funds up again after Christmas. Once I have £1500 in the two emergency funds I'd like to build a loss of income fund of £6000 in a seperate savings account.

Ambitious I know but it would give us peace of mind :).
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Once I have £1500 in the two emergency funds I'd like to build a loss of income fund of £6000 in a seperate savings account.

What a sound idea! You could probably find one of those accounts with delayed access for better interest as well, because the EF would be your initial buffer zone.

Travel... nowadays I suppose a lot of it is just sitting there while the pilot does the work, but a bit of the image of vast distances on foot (Lord of the Rings style) or transatlantic voyages that took weeks or first man on the moon still lingers with us. And as parents we have that instinct that says we can't be with them instantly if they don't feel well or something - but as young adults they will use what they've learned from us already to solve any 'situations' themselves. Then in my experience they come back more knowledgeable than we are and in a good position to advise us!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Glad to hear ds is safely on his travels.......sounds like a fair trek xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback