Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• me03
    me03 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Just went back to sky after being with virgin for 18 months. After chatting online for a while got offered;

sky q box
    box sets package
    sky fibre max
    talk talk/line rental for £55

Also promised sky sports and cinema for £15 per month once activated as it was working our too expensive to add it on now.

All in, £70 per month - was paying £63 with virgin but had jumped up to £111 and they could only offer me £91 for same package or £81 for lower tv pack and broadband speed. Doesn't really sound cheap compared to others but have top tv package and top broadband so I will be happy being back with sky which we prefer for another 18 months!
  • stulaunch
    Options
    Tilona wrote: »
    I have been silly and by mistake took a 10 month deal on a 12 month contract which runs out end of feb. I have rung then to negotiate on standard unlimited broadband, pay as u go talk and original tv bundle only. I am currently paying £28 which will go up to £50 in Jan and Feb. They have offered me a £37.60 deal for 18 months. Is that good or is it worth it calling them to 'actually cancel' hoping they will come down further or shall I stick with that offer? I assume if they don't get back to me by the end of December I will be able to call them and change my mind on the cancellation but would run the risk of losing my current offer? Any advice appreciated.

A few years ago I took a similar deal, 10 month discount on a 12 month contract.
    This is what I did. I called them in month 9 and gave notice to cancel in advance at the end of the 12 months. I then had offers via banner in mysky straight after giving the notice. So I didn't have to pay the 2 months full price.
    Though not sure if this still happens, maybe worth a try.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    stulaunch wrote: »
    A few years ago I took a similar deal, 10 month discount on a 12 month contract.
    This is what I did. I called them in month 9 and gave notice to cancel in advance at the end of the 12 months. I then had offers via banner in mysky straight after giving the notice. So I didn't have to pay the 2 months full price.
    Though not sure if this still happens, maybe worth a try.

The trouble is you have almost no bargaining power in that scenario, you certainly wouldn't be offered the 50% & £25 credit for instance that seems to be the limit at the moment without the service actually being turned off I'd have thought.

Obviously you can only try (be persistent and try, try again) but you have to be prepared to pay the full price for at least month 11.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Giving more than the required notice, if you really mean to quit,can cause problems as I found this year, on ringing two days early as phone waiting times were long. My actual leaving date was incorrect at least 4 times.
  • drphila
    drphila Posts: 288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wapow wrote: »
    How to Win with Sky :

Be prepared to live without Sky for 3 days.

If you do go beyond the switch off date, do you lose any recordings on the box?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 December 2017 at 5:58PM
    Options
    drphila wrote: »

No, as long as there's no licensing restrictions of course such as only available for 30 days (even they're still available up until the end of the term).

Edit: as @KTF says below (and I should have mentioned) although they're still there you just can't access them.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    drphila wrote: »
    Th recordings remain but you have no access to them.
  • tinshed
    tinshed Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    I am currently in an offer until 2019, no contract at all.

Sky+ Hd box with boxsets.
    Bedroom has an extra bog standard HD box without recording or Catch up, boxsets.
    Sky fibre unlimited

Total price is £49 per month.

I really want Sports & Movies but not sure if id be cutting my nose off to spite my face if I cancelled on the deal I have.

Not sure if its a good one or not.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tinshed wrote: »
    I am currently in an offer until 2019, no contract at all.

Sky+ Hd box with boxsets.
    Bedroom has an extra bog standard HD box without recording or Catch up, boxsets.
    Sky fibre unlimited

Total price is £49 per month.

I really want Sports & Movies but not sure if id be cutting my nose off to spite my face if I cancelled on the deal I have.

Not sure if its a good one or not.
    Why not ask them, without making a commitment ?

You obviously realise that adding the two channels would cancel your existing offer, but as you want to upgrade they may offer a better deal.
  • Mr_blibby
    Mr_blibby Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2017 at 6:07PM
    Options
    Been down to the wire before service went off, which may have resulted in divorce and I wasn't thinking of spending that much ;)

Best offer I could get was 50% off TV, 18 month discount period, on 30-day rolling contract with £25 account credit. - Still an increase on last year, for less of the content I watch (Champions League, Ashes, etc) . Would just advise to get confirmation in writing that if you give notice, then no early termination charges will apply. I'll give a couple of months to get Xmas out of the way and give notice and try again.....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback