eBay Final Value Fees

Options
Hi all,

First time posting here so I hope I have put this in the right section. I recently sold an old phone via eBay. The first interested buyer contacted me and asked for my email address so they could get in contact for more photos. I duly replied and sent my email address. They sent me an email and I sent extra photos. They responded on eBay saying they wanted to pay outside of eBay which I wasn't very happy about so I refused as I thought it was likely to be a scam.

I later sold the item to another buyer on eBay and have paid all the final value fees and thought that was the end of it.

Today I received an email telling me that completing transactions outside of eBay was against their policies and they have charged me a final value fee based on the full price of the item because the sale could have been completed without their knowledge.

I have been on the phone to their customer services all day trying to get a refund on the fees as I don't think they are fair! The first lady I spoke to agreed but insisted she was powerless to do so. I later spoke to a manager who was very rude and even put the phone down on me!

Is there anything I can do about this as they seem completely unwilling to help?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stop using ebay. They have had a massive clamp down on giving out contact details in messages.

Could you tell the country the call centre was in? Just keep trying at different times of the day to see if you get a different centre.

They making thinking that you may have sold 2 items.

If you clearly told the person that you wont sell outside ebay then keep repeating that until you get someone to listen.

Dont hold your breath though they are often worse than a 1980's attempt at an AI computer.

Person: What day is it
    AI: Do you think thats important
    Person: Yes, what day is it
    AI: I see
    Person: You see what
    AI: I undertand
    Person: So what day is it
    AI: Thats a tricky one.

etc etc etc....

Spookily just like ebay on the phone..
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hayley97 wrote: »
    Hi all,

First time posting here so I hope I have put this in the right section. I recently sold an old phone via eBay. The first interested buyer contacted me and asked for my email address so they could get in contact for more photos. I duly replied and sent my email address. They sent me an email and I sent extra photos. They responded on eBay saying they wanted to pay outside of eBay which I wasn't very happy about so I refused as I thought it was likely to be a scam.

I later sold the item to another buyer on eBay and have paid all the final value fees and thought that was the end of it.

Today I received an email telling me that completing transactions outside of eBay was against their policies and they have charged me a final value fee based on the full price of the item because the sale could have been completed without their knowledge.

I have been on the phone to their customer services all day trying to get a refund on the fees as I don't think they are fair! The first lady I spoke to agreed but insisted she was powerless to do so. I later spoke to a manager who was very rude and even put the phone down on me!

Is there anything I can do about this as they seem completely unwilling to help?

Thanks in advance.

I agree this seems very harsh as you actually didn't do anything- but ebay are now draconian when it comes to punishing people who they think break the rules.

I think the mistake was made when you exchanged email addresses and sent photos, this shouldn't be possible as the system shouldn't allow addresses to be exchanged - but I am aware that the system sometimes glitches and allows it .

I would keep on at them by phone, or live chat (as you then get a copy), the fact that the phone was clearly sold on ebay later must count in your favour as it is near proof that it wasn't sold 'off ebay'. Whilst people have been suspended and restricted for this alleged infringement you are the first I've come across who has retained their account and been charged- so this might even be one for the community boards.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • hayley97
    Options
    It sounded like she was American. I think I might try calling again tomorrow morning to see if I can talk to someone in the UK. They also seemed unaware that they have to deal with us according to UK laws etc rather than those in the US. It seems not just me but hundreds of other sellers that also have similar issues with eBay!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hayley97 wrote: »
    It sounded like she was American. I think I might try calling again tomorrow morning to see if I can talk to someone in the UK. They also seemed unaware that they have to deal with us according to UK laws etc rather than those in the US. It seems not just me but hundreds of other sellers that also have similar issues with eBay!

American is a new one, it's usually Dublin or The Phillipines.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    eBay has become a total bottom feeder when it comes to grubbing up revenue to justify its figures to so called wall Street experts etc. etc.

Being Charged fees for something that eBay perceives as being sold off eBay was a clause in a recent terms & conditions that we all have no choice but to agree to.

It seems obvious to me that eBay will make more income from charging fees on items that have not sold, rather than from kicking sellers and maybe buyers off the site for "off eBay sales"
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    American is a new one, it's usually Dublin or The Phillipines.

In the last few days when I have spoken to Ebay, it has been Texas!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure