TFL Yellow Box penalty notice

Options

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Doesn't matter if we agree with you or not it is not going to change the fact that you have been caught and fined.

Others may have been lucky and didn't need to to stop in the box as the road ahead cleared in time. Or maybe they weren't caught.

Many manoeuvres cause tail backs. That is a fact of driving today.

Until the law is changed you comply with it.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    Are you saying only one car can enter at a time and the car behind has to wait for the car in front to fully cross the box and an extra space for you before you enter the box?

Yes

That's how they should be used from a legal stance.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    By this argument, 100% of people should receive tickets in that case (or pretty close)?

Correct. The highway code is pretty clear. The reason it doesn't happen is that not every box has a camera monitoring it so cannot realistically happen.

The fact someone else doesn't get caught is not a legitimate defence.

By all means appeal if you think you have a case though and can convince them that it would be unreasonable to follow the highway code at this junction, however I don't feel you have a case.
  • rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The way you describe it the traffic was not free flowing. So if you have to stop and wait until the exit is clear and the car in front is not going to block you then you can go. If the traffic slow moving waiting a few seconds won't cause too many issues.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The actual legislation to which the HC refers says: "...no person shall cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of stationary vehicle", with the same exception about turning right.

That's probably even clearer than the HC.
  • Itsgottabedone
    Options
    I was caught in almost identical circumstances in a London Borough adjoining yours. I wrote a reasoned reply pointing out that the car in front had stopped with a long gap in front of him which resulted in my back tyres being on the edge of the yellow box. Mentioned that the photos attached to the fine letter showed clearly that I wasn't causing an obstruction to traffic on or joining the main road. Sadly they declined my appeal, saying that it was up to me to ensure that the car in front had left sufficient space for me to cross the box!

On the plus side, there was an indication on the original letter that the reduced rate of fine would be applied in the event of an appeal being made provided it was paid within 14 days of the appeal being declined. If that's the case with yours I'd give an appeal a go - you've nothing to lose! Good luck.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    And if you wait patiently at the other side of the box until there is room for you to cross you get some muppet blowing his horn angrily at you. So it's lose-lose.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    The actual legislation to which the HC refers says: "...no person shall cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of stationary vehicle", with the same exception about turning right.

That's probably even clearer than the HC.
    That wording makes it sounds like the driver in front caused the offense
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    That wording makes it sounds like the driver in front caused the offense

That's one way of looking at it.

The only way not to be caught out is not to enter the box until you know you can clear it.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    konark wrote: »
    And if you wait patiently at the other side of the box until there is room for you to cross you get some muppet blowing his horn angrily at you. So it's lose-lose.

Option 1 - pay £65 fine.

Option 2 - listen to someone's horn.

Pretty easy decision. Hardly lose-lose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills