Speeding fine refunded then nothing heard

Advice please...

Basically i got caught speeding in Feb by a camera doing 41 in a 30mph on the 4.30am on Sunday then again at the same speed camera the following thursday doing 43mph at a similar time (yes yes i know I'm a wally, i drive past this camera every day on my way to work!)

Now when i received the summons through the post rang up and paid them both and then sent my licence off to Essex for my points to be put on.

Then in September i noticed £100 had been put into my account from the courts service i had no idea what it was from so did a bit of googling and found out that i should of sent my licence off, then received it back and sent it back to them to put the second lot of points on

I immediately started to panic and rang them and only to be told that yes i should of sent my licence off twice i asked to be speak to someone straight away to let them know what i had done and they said that i couldn't speak to anyone and that i had to wait and that i would be receiving a court summons

Its now December and I've not heard a thing what should i do? i checked my driving licence recently and i only have 3 points on my licence???

Comments

• The dvla will revoke it soon.
  • What does that mean?
  • Dolly123 wrote: »
    What does that mean?

Dont worry about Tothpoints comments they obviously revel in others misfortune.

Your licence will only be revoked if you are a new driver of less than 2 years and you get 6 points within those 2 years. That is the only way you the DVLA will revoke your licence.

It may take some time for your court date to be assigned. Try phoning again a and ask if you have a court date yet. Have you moved house between September and now. If so did you change your address on both V5C for your car and your drivers licence? Did you set up a mail redirect to get any mail you may be sent if they don't do another check for address.

If it does go to court you may find you will be charged court fees and other victim charges or something along those lines and you may even get a more substantial fine. This is worst case scenario. Ask the judge for leniency if you get that far.
  • The DVLA will not revoke the licence as the Fixed Penalty Offer will have been cancelled and the £100 refunded.
    The normal process is that the matter is then dealt with at court.
  • GTE_Boy
    GTE_Boy Posts: 218 Forumite
    rich13348 wrote: »
    Dont worry about Tothpoints comments they obviously revel in others misfortune.

Your licence will only be revoked if you are a new driver of less than 2 years and you get 6 points within those 2 years. That is the only way you the DVLA will revoke your licence.

It may take some time for your court date to be assigned. Try phoning again a and ask if you have a court date yet. Have you moved house between September and now. If so did you change your address on both V5C for your car and your drivers licence? Did you set up a mail redirect to get any mail you may be sent if they don't do another check for address.

If it does go to court you may find you will be charged court fees and other victim charges or something along those lines and you may even get a more substantial fine. This is worst case scenario. Ask the judge for leniency if you get that far.

Are you sure?

What happens when you don't surrender it for points after conviction?

Revocation.

Mind you driving otherwise in accordance following that revocation is a non endorsable offence.
  • Courts no longer require the licence to be surrendered on conviction as the DVLA are notified by the court and the licence record updated.
    To accept a Fixed Penalty Offer, the licence still has to be sent to the fixed penalty office.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    GTE_Boy wrote: »
    Are you sure?

Revocation.

Mind you driving otherwise in accordance following that revocation is a non endorsable offence.

Really? 3-6 points or a discretionary ban according to the Highway Code.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GTE_Boy wrote: »
    Are you sure?

Revocation.

The OP has not been convicted yet.

The £100 fixed penalty is a way to avoid prosecution & conviction.
    As the terms of the fixed penalty have not been complied with the OP has rejected that offer, and the next step is prosecution in court.

I still think you have to surrender your licence for endorsement, even though there is no paper part to mark them on, and the licence is revoked if this is not done, following conviction if the court impose points.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • facade wrote: »
    The OP has not been convicted yet.

The £100 fixed penalty is a way to avoid prosecution & conviction.
    As the terms of the fixed penalty have not been complied with the OP has rejected that offer, and the next step is prosecution in court.

I still think you have to surrender your licence for endorsement, even though there is no paper part to mark them on, and the licence is revoked if this is not done, following conviction if the court impose points.

While factually correct that's just a play on words. As three points will class as aconviction for insurance and totting up purposes.
  • Car_54 wrote: »
    Really? 3-6 points or a discretionary ban according to the Highway Code.

Section 87(1) doesn't carry points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport