Disney renovation drama!

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May 2018 at 3:33PM
    Nakita93 wrote: »
    ........ and not being able to sleep in past 9am on days that we have already planned to catch up on sleep after late nights in the park........

(Edited after reading about your fatigue)
    Have you actually worked out how far your room is from the centre of the noise source? I'd be quite surprised if you notice it amongst the general hubbub of all the other visitors getting up from 7am.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Nakita93
    Nakita93 Posts: 16 Forumite
    We’ve been to this resort before, the rooms are over looking the pool and they’re having a full on refurbishment, including the installation of new slides. They have told me on the phone to expect construction noise. Not really what you want when you’ve paid £9000 for a holiday !!!128528;
  • camca
    camca Posts: 6 Forumite
    What have you decided to do? I have the same dilemma. I'm pretty gutted as well. I booked it a year ago for November and been looking forward to it so much :'-( It was going to be our first stay at AKL but I'm worried that the renovation would impact the things around the pool - the restaurants, fitness centre and some of the animal areas.

I haven't booked flights yet so we might just cancel as there are so few other resort options but that would be so sad!!
  • Nakita93
    To be honest, I have no idea. We have already booked our flights !!!128557;!!!128557;!!!128557;. To transfer hotel means forking an extra few grand which I think it’s completely inconsiderate. The thing is, the luxury of just being able to nip over for the pool movie if you’re back from a park early, or nipping down for a quick swim in the morning is now not an option. Regardless of the Kidani pool only being 10 minutes away, it’s still an inconvenience. I feel like we’ve paid for something and now it’s not being fulfilled? Plus it’s going to be horrendous on the eye. I’m so upset by how I was spoken to my two Disney cast members today, they’ve absolutely no compassion for how us customers feel about this. It seems such a shame to cancel and for us we’d be losing out because we can’t get money back for flights. Have you rang them personally or replied to the email?

Nakita x
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Maybe they showed little compassion because it was unclear what the issues were for you?
    You've said that it's the noise rather than the pool that is the issue, but have written more here about the pool than the noise.
  • camca
    I haven't contacted them yet. I'm not sure which e-mail to use. Did you just reply to the same address? I've read that if you e-mail they will just tell you to call but I think it's worth e-mailing so they can see how unhappy everyone is. I'm hoping that they will change their tune if enough people complain! I also don't really want to talk to a cast member on the phone who's just been told that under no circumstances can they offer anything.
    I hope they might change their stance especially once other travel providers like Virgin get involved. But if not, looking at the map, not that many rooms are close to the pool so hopefully you won't have one of those. If you can get used to them, I used ear plugs on our last Disney holiday to sleep during the day.
  • Nakita93
    They’ve just rang me. Been on the phone for 45 minutes. Other than offering a hotel move at my cost, there is nothing they are prepared to down. They even suggesting I downgraded resorts so it didn’t cost me anymore money. They said if I want to cancel they will waive the cancellation fee and offer a full refund. She had mentioned earlier that they are being consistent and nobody is getting any compensation. So I asked that all those facing disruption would be able to cancellation free of charge and given a full refund. I replied saying that I found it difficult to understand that they would rather offer everyone full refunds and lose out that way financially, opposed to offering some sort of gesture to ease the blow of being disrupted by renovations. Nothing I said made any difference. My partner said he would rather cancel and lose the cost of the flights than give them anymore of our hard earned money when they are massively lacking compassion. Awful. She got very abrupt towards the end also, saying ‘we’ve been on the phone a very long time now, what More do you want from me’.
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Nakita93 wrote: »
    They’ve just rang me. Been on the phone for 45 minutes. Other than offering a hotel move at my cost, there is nothing they are prepared to down. They even suggesting I downgraded resorts so it didn’t cost me anymore money. They said if I want to cancel they will waive the cancellation fee and offer a full refund. She had mentioned earlier that they are being consistent and nobody is getting any compensation. So I asked that all those facing disruption would be able to cancellation free of charge and given a full refund. I replied saying that I found it difficult to understand that they would rather offer everyone full refunds and lose out that way financially, opposed to offering some sort of gesture to ease the blow of being disrupted by renovations. Nothing I said made any difference. My partner said he would rather cancel and lose the cost of the flights than give them anymore of our hard earned money when they are massively lacking compassion. Awful. She got very abrupt towards the end also, saying ‘we’ve been on the phone a very long time now, what More do you want from me’.
    Take the refund and book a villa away from the parks. renovations are awful there at the moment.
  • Nakita93
    It’s awful isn’t it. I’m just angry because we’ve booked everything, restaurants, character dining etc. So much time and effort !!!128555; don’t think we’ve got any other option other than to cancel, you’re right!
  • camca
    That really sucks. It's so much planning gone to waste if you have to cancel! I think it's worth waiting to see what happens before you cancel in case they change what they're offering - or maybe a room will open up in one of the deluxe hotels that isn't that much more expensive, like Saratoga Springs.

Or have you thought about staying in one of the hotels at Disney Springs? They're much more affordable than Disney hotels for what you get so you probably wouldn't spend more even without free dining, and they're still really close. Not quite the same but might be worth it rather than losing the money from your flights?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure