Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• Hi
    Has anyone else noticed lately that from 1st Sept 2010 SLC has put up its rates from -0.40% to a whopping 4.40% and with no explanation!

Secondly, I don't earn enough to pay mine back (I graduated in 2001) so have to defer each year, but now been told it's 45 years of deferment until the amount gets written off? Can someone confirm please? I'm on the old mortgage system so I don't pay until earn £26 or £27k I believe...

Thanks
  • Sezza1979 wrote: »
    Hi
    Has anyone else noticed lately that from 1st Sept 2010 SLC has put up its rates from -0.40% to a whopping 4.40% and with no explanation!
    Err, yes there is an explanation - same as every year. 4.4% was the RPI figure for March 2010.
  • Sezza1979 wrote: »
    n!

Secondly, I don't earn enough to pay mine back (I graduated in 2001) so have to defer each year, but now been told it's 45 years of deferment until the amount gets written off? Can someone confirm please? I'm on the old mortgage system so I don't pay until earn £26 or £27k I believe...

Thanks

You've been misinformed. Old style loans are wiped out after 25 years or when you reach 50.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What's the address to make a complain to, please? My parents have sent in details at least twice now and my sister got informed that they've lost them again. She's with very little money until they sort this out.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • email for complaints is customer_complaints@slc.co.uk

Your complaint will be just in front of ours. They have lost our two childrens birth certificates and a letter from HRMC about child benefit which has my personal details on and the childrens. Miraculously they still everything else that was sent in the same envelope. That means our childcare grant will be delayed joy of joys. And as for Data Protection well I dread to think were mine and my childrens details have gone. Rant over, lets just say we've had a terrible time with SLC! Hope others have more success!
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you want a laugh, in the post I was sent one of their employees overtime claim sheets for the month of May.
  • Please can you give me any advice:
    The submissions sent for student finance for both my children have been repeatedly lost. They were sent recorded delivery and were recieved by Student Finance.
    (They have made a basic offer but not considered the means testing.)
    They keep promising to sort and let me know within a few days, but no contact is made.
    This began in May this year and both children are now at uni.
    I cannot afford more telephone calls. My children need to have the means tested assessment. We were in financial hardship before and the stress for us all is too much.
    Any advice as to who can help us? How I should proceed?
    Many Thanks for your consideration.
  • when calculating your household income, in particular to applying for adult dependents grant and parents learning allowance on pn1 section 9, do you have to include payments from insurance policies for unemployment. the tax man hmrc is not interested and disregard this as income for both tax and tax credits. please can someone clarify. i have just been awarded both pla and adg
  • Hi

My girlfriend is having problems with her student finance, she sent off all the forms in June and hasn't yet recieved anything in the post to say she is getting it or it's being processed.

Can anyone help as she is getting worried about rent and things

thanks
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    StUPoT wrote: »
    Hi

My girlfriend is having problems with her student finance, she sent off all the forms in June and hasn't yet recieved anything in the post to say she is getting it or it's being processed.

Can anyone help as she is getting worried about rent and things

thanks

Has she looked at her online account to see the status of her account?
    Why did she leave applying so late?
    If she is stuck for money she may be able to get a crisis loan from her university so she should contact student support at her university ASAP.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback