Why is my partner paying csa

Hi I’m wondering if anyone can help or shed any light on mine and my partners situation...
My partner has 2 children from a previous marriage, I also have 2 children from a previous marriage, and we also have a son together, because we live together my partner helps pay for my children and obviously our son together.
We have been together for 4 years and have always had his 2 daughters 4 nights 1 week, and 2 nights another week, which works out half the time, which is joint custody...when they are here my partner obviously pays for their needs(food clothes travel etc),
He pays his ex wife csa of £50 a week.. correct me if I’m wrong but for the life of me I cannot understand why he is paying anything?! He has them half the time so he shouldn’t have to pay when they are at their mums? If that’s the case why isn’t she paying him when they are here? She also claims child tax credits and child benefit for the children so she is rolling in it..
surely it can’t be right that he should pay anything when it works out half the time he has the children

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ajh91 wrote: »
    always had his 2 daughters 4 nights 1 week, and 2 nights another week, which works out half the time,

4+2 = 6, there are 14 nights in the fortnight you are referring to, by what calculation is that half the time?
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don!!!8217;t know if it!!!8217;s relevanr to CSA, but you don!!!8217;t have them half them time. You have them 6 days out of 14.
  • Ajh91
    Ajh91 Posts: 7 Forumite
    sorry 1 day less than half the time... we also have them many other odd nights/weeks here and there. I just don’t see how it can be right
  • Ajh91
    I!!!8217;ll add that my ex has my children 6 nights a month and pays me exactly the same amount that my partner pays his ex
  • iammumtoone
    sorry 1 day less than half the time... we also have them many other odd nights/weeks here and there. I just don’t see how it can be right

that one day makes the difference. If it was half over the year (perhaps you need to start keeping notes of the days they do stay and tally it up after a year) then it would make it shared cared care. The mother would have to pay csa to the father and the father to the mother so in the case of one parent earning more than the other it could still work out that one has to pay the other doesn't.
  • iammumtoone
    I!!!8217;ll add that my ex has my children 6 nights a month and pays me exactly the same amount that my partner pays his ex

the amount goes on earnings as well as time spent at the other house so its possible this could be correct.
  • Ajh91
    Do they take into account your outgoings though? I don’t think my partner actually does earn more than his ex as she is a police officer. But if she is claiming child tax and child benefits also as well as her wage, my partner provides for 5 children so surely they should take all that into account?
  • iammumtoone
    Do they take into account your outgoings though? I don’t think my partner actually does earn more than his ex as she is a police officer. But if she is claiming child tax and child benefits also as well as her wage, my partner provides for 5 children so surely they should take all that into account?

They don't take into account outgoings but do take into account your partner has another child (the one that is his, not the other two in the household).

Tax credits are nothing to do with csa calculations. I am not sure but I think with two children shared care it is possible for each parent to claim for one child tax credits, how this would work in your situation with claiming for two children tax credits (your child together plus one shared care) I dont know but if you determine you do have the children half the year this is something you could look into (how involved the mother has to be in this situation with her agreement I don't know).
  • jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    he does not have them half the time if he has them 4 nights one week and 2 nights the next. that is 6 nights a fortnight so less than half.
    make sure he has told CMS this so he gets the full reduction he is due on his assessment.
    also make sure they know about the 3 children currently in your household.
    child benefit is normally paid to the parent who is the prime carer so in your partners exs case she will get CHIB for 2 children and you will get this for 3 children.
    tax credits are awarded based on the family income so it is possible your partners ex is not "rolling in it" but struggling and the child support payments are an important part of her total household income.
  • HoneyNutLoop
    HoneyNutLoop Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There’s a bit of inaccurate info in this thread.

To give the correct info, you’d need to say when your partner’s and your case began. It may be that what your ex pays is being calculated under a different scheme then what your partner pays, or that there are other differences in their circumstances meaning they would pay different amounts or one or both calculations could be wrong.

However, some things to note:

1) equal day to day care only results in no requirement for either parent to pay maintenance under the scheme administered by CMS, first introduced in 2012 for certain specific cases. Under the 2 older schemes, one parent must be assessed as the non-resident parent even if care is share equally. 6 nights out of 14 is not counted as equal care under any of the schemes however.
    2) Under none of the 3 schemes do they calculate an amount for both parents to pay each other for the same child for the same period of time. In an equal day to day care situation, either one parent will be deemed the non-resident parent or neither, depending on which scheme your on.
    3) outgoings were only taken into account under the original scheme, which closed to new applications in 2003. Even then it was only certain specific outgoings.
    4) tax credits are treated wildly differently under each of the 3 schemes. Depending on which your on will depend if it’s counted as income when working out maintenance.
    5) step children living in the same household as the non-resident parent are taking into account in some shape or form under all 3 schemes.
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure