PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noisy Neighbours - DIY

Comments

• Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    I'm also very surprised that DIY up until 11pm is generally considered acceptable, it's just as intrusive as noise that would considered more antisocial such as loud music.

I've had 2 previous houses where neighbours DIY noise was an issue, one where the neighbour was a bored, lonely divorcee after his wife left him... so he occupied his spare time by constantly working on the house doing all sorts of pointless projects. Another where the house was empty and being renovated by the owner's son in law, who only ever worked on it at evenings and weekends... for 4 years!
  • yoshiyella
    yoshiyella Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My take on this:

It is not the new neighbours. It is your old neighbours. They have stung you and you are not wanting to put up with what you are perceiving as the same.

Go around and speak to her (he seems grumpy) with cakes and have a chat about their plans. You may then find out how long it will last.
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you all for your replies - I am going to ring the council tomorrow just for a chat, I am not making a formal complaint, I just want to clarify what is allowed when.

I have been keeping a note of the noise for the last 14 days, 12 of which we have had either early morning or late night DIY noise - we have talked to them on many occassions - my boys always tell me that I am too nice to them, but I don't want it to get confrontational. I have told them in the past when we have been going to be out all day or weekend so that they can continue while we are out - they are the end of terrace so have no one on the other side of them.
    Fibro-Warrior
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think the council will be any use with noise such as scraping wallpaper. While appreciating just how annoying it is (I've had cause to talk to my neighbour about exactly the same thing) it's never going to register sufficiently on any recording equipment for them to do anything about it.

I think 11pm is too late, personally - it was 10pm when I went round to ask them to finish for the day.
    Have you tried asking the woman why he can't do it earlier of an evening? Otherwise, try some earplugs or shifting to another room as a temporary measure. You could argue you shouldn't have to, but they can't be DIYing forever so the sooner they can get it done the better.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I always thought it was up to 11 and from 8.30am the next day. To be honest when I worked nights next door mowed in the day and it disturbed me but there!!!8217;s nothing I could do. People who work full time in the day have to do it sometime
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think 11pm is far too late imo - I think your neighbour is being unreasonable to carry on so late.

I am up at 6am and my husband around 4am there is no way i would be putting up with this nonsense, your neighbour will have to organise himself and realise he isnt the centre of the universe, yes he may work, but so do other pple
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ProDave wrote: »
    Let me give the story from the other side, as this was me nearly 30 years ago.

I had bought a 1930's semi, completely neglected for probably the last 30 years in a terrible state, most buyers today would not even have moved into it and deemed it uninhabitable.

Anyway it was the location that sold it, and I had to bring it up to standard on a shoe string budged which meant do it all myself. so I could only work after work and at weekends, and it would take a long time.

I had some really noisy work to do, I had a wall to knock down. So I went and had a chat with the neighbours. What I asked them, was would they inform me when they were going out, so that I could do the noisy work while they were out. The guy exploded going off into a rant "I shouldn't have to go out to get away from your noise". I tried to explain I was not asking him to go out especially , but when he did go out to let me know so I could do the heavy work.

I got nowhere with this. So I just dd the work to suit me and never spoke to the neighbours.

My point is they HAVE to do the work. So if, unlike my neighbour, you can agree times to do the work, it will be better for both of you. If, like my neighbour, you refuse to even discuss it, then expect them to carry on at all hours.

Remember any time you get them to stop, only DELAYS the work being done.

I don't see a need for a chat for a person to know that using power tool or making noise after 22.00 at night or before 7 am is not on. I don't even use the mower until after 10-11 am at weekends.

That said I have had the odd neighbour who thinks he can treat me and my family like mugs. They got the message after he or she came home after a night shift. Or I decide to have a nice BBQ until the early hours.....with the music on. Them people sure learn fast!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 May 2018 at 8:31AM
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Them people sure learn fast!
    I don't think many of us would argue that working on a party wall or using power tools after 10pm or before 7am is reasonable behaviour.

What's more questionable, is whether it is advisable to get into confrontation with such an unreasonable neighbour, or pursue them formally via the council EHO, or privately through the courts, when a move is soon on the cards.

In other words, "Them people" could stuff things up, 12 months down the line.
  • Lornapink
    Lornapink Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm one for going for the jugular and in your position I would make noise in the middle of the night to wake them. OK you will be tired but I think this would have the desired effect.
    Restless, somebody pour me a vino.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Perhaps bear in mind that everybody will have to do some noisy work at some point, and once it's done it's done. We've lived here for 12 years and the 3 neighbours on both sides have had extensions and building/renovation work done in that time. that's 6 lots of noise and banging for up to 6 months (one was a new build) .
    The advantage of using trades is that they go home at 5pm, the disadvantage is that they do not care about the noise.
    I would not go down the formal route, it will ease off once they've done the work, and if you want to sell you may have to discount your property for no reason if the noise has abated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure